Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 23 TouchSmart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this as a pre-owned device.  The volume is extremely low compared to my previous computer, an HP AIO TouchSmart 600.  I would love it if the volume worked as it did on that computer.  I tried the Envy 17" fix, but it aborted the install as it said that the hardware was not supported by that application.  I have updated my driver using device manager.  I have tried one other fix that I found by Googling this question, but that did not work at all.   My volume right now is set at 30, and I can just hear my DVD which is of quiet, acapella music.   On my previous HP AIO, I  could play this music at level 4 or thereabouts,and be able to have it as lovely background music.  Last night, we tried a DVD and had to have the volume at 100!  I hope this can be solved.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If there is no sound video and game controller's device manager category, click on the View tab at the top of the device manager window, and select the show hidden devices option.

Then see if the category appears and try manually updating the driver as I had last posted.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your PC?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01492484

HP Recommended

23se-d494

HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to install the W10 audio driver from your PC's support page and restart the PC after installing the driver.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-23-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/6528340/mod...

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I tried that, but once again, it said that it was not supported and aborted the install.  Now, I have no audio at all, and I did restart my computer.  Anything I try tells me that I have no audio hardware installed.  Please help.  Thanks for helping me so far!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that the audio driver on your PC's support page isn't working for whatever reason.  I'm surprised as it usually fixes the problem.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to see if this works...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.

2. Select the Driver tab.

3. Click on the Update Driver button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

A warning message may appear,  but click Yes.

7. Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

8. Restart the PC.

The key is step 6.

HP Recommended

device mgr 7-22-2020.jpg

This is what I am seeing on my device manager.

HP Recommended

If there is no sound video and game controller's device manager category, click on the View tab at the top of the device manager window, and select the show hidden devices option.

Then see if the category appears and try manually updating the driver as I had last posted.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!  I showed the hidden devices, found the right list, did steps 1-8 in message 6, and then went back and did the Envy 23 driver update from message 4, and now, I am in business.  I am so grateful.  😂

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.