Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy X360 15-EEXXXCA
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Laptop - HP Envy X360 15-EExxxCA AMD Ryzen 7, 8GB Ram, 1TB SSD

Every now and then while using audio (YouTube, zoom, etc...), my audio will completely crash and all I am able to hear is a loud crackling noise that does not stop no matter what. My audio icon then shows a red circle with a white X in it. When running diagnostic helps, it shows that my audio drivers do not exist at all. This keeps going for a while until either I manually shut down the PC or it crashes on it's own. Once I restart it though, everything is working fine. This happens maybe 2-3 times a day when I am using audio. I have tried reinstalling the drivers for all audio devices from the HP Website and doing a clean wipe if the PC. The issue is still present. This is a brand new laptop that I bought from Costco a couple of weeks ago for school.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can help me.

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello, were you ever able to fix this? The same thing is happening to me and I find no solution.

HP Recommended

The issue continues. I haven’t done a reset as some have suggested. Instead I dug out a 5 year old alternative laptop for all Zoom calls. 

HP Recommended

@Nikubai12  @robsterinside @Creeky23

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Still nothing to help it. I've even tried reinstalling windows and doing a factory reset as well. One thing I did notice is that the failure seems to happen whenever I begin to use my microphone. Ex, I'll connect to a voice chat on discord and I won't hear anything and the lagging and crashing will begin. Maybe the fact that the microphone is being used is messing with the entire PC?

HP Recommended

Still wasn't able to fix it. Am most likely going to opt for and exchange and hope the new unit does not fail me as well.

HP Recommended

@Nikubai12

If the issue starts when you use the microphone, then I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Run Audio Troubleshooter

- Launch Troubleshooting by typing and clicking “Troubleshooting” in Windows search.

- Click on "Playing Audio".

- Follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check if microphone isn't disabled.

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Click on "Show disconnected devices", and "Show disabled devices".

- Select on Microphone, click on "Properties". If it is disabled, enable it.

- Once enabled, set Microphone as default audio input device.

3. Check if microphone isn't muted.

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Volume Mixer".

- On the Microphone slider, slide it up to 100%.

4. Boost sensitivity of Microphone

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Open the Levels Tab, move the Microphone boost slider up to check audio.

5. Disable enhancements

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording“, Double

click on Microphone.

- Open the Enhancements / Effects Tab.

- Check "Disable All Sound / System Effects“. Click Apply, OK, test the Microphone again.

6. Change format of the Microphone

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Go to the Advanced Tab, choose any of the 16 bit options on the list.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I can confirm there is an issue here. I recently started experiencing this as well, while using the Discord app. Although my microphone is muted, while running discord and another program the audio system will crash, icon on the lower right changes to red, and windows itself will not reboot normally. Volume can't be changed by any means, and a hard reboot is the only way to fix things. Happens about twice an hour. Can't reboot the system at all, have to hold the power switch - even though applications that are running don't crash. The audio and OS do...

I did not have this issue a week ago while using an external monitor. I only experienced the issue in the last week. Either it's because I'm using the built-in speakers instead of external monitor/sound, or there was a recent update that is causing a serious issue with the microphone.

I'm experiencing this crash with Discord + World of Warcraft Classic, HP Envy x360 Ryzen 7. 

HP Recommended

@Tufo

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Have you tried above suggested troubleshooting steps?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.