Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am also having the problem with my dv 6000 Pavillion. What to do? this sounds like a major issue.

HP Recommended

I am also having the same problem with my Hp Pavilion dv4-1235ee. No solution..........

HP Recommended

I have also the same problem , suddenly my laptop DV6-1245DX stop audio, driver is ok, even I never removed or uninstall driver, even no malware or viruses, its good maintain system , As I am IT Guy BS IT , MBA IT , MCSE MCSA MCTS CCNA CCNP experience upto 8years in IT field but thi laptop Audio problem killing my knowledge, I re-install driver, even OS vista, but external inbuilt speakers want work, headphone is working and external speakers at headset jack is working fine, even I install now Windows 7 and install drivers of Win7 but still same problem, I send to HP customer care but they told me my warranty expiered so it will charge you and they returned my pack without solving my problem. I guess HP also dont have this solution.

I promise to HP I will never purchase any laptop for me or for gift to others.

HPatel 

HP Recommended

Has ANYONE tried reinstalling the OS and then NOT going on the internet for a few days ? My problem with the sound device not being installed error started after I updated to flash 10.1.

Also, does reinstalling Vista actually reformat the drive ? I know it says it is doing it, but it seems to me that it does it WAY too fast. Makes me want to buy a fresh hard drive and then reinstall from the factory recovery disks that you can purchase from HP. But, even then, if this is an issue with this model of laptop's on board sound and drivers, the minute I downloaded Flash again, it would prbly happen all over again !

I think I may just try Toshiba with the next laptop. I have an HP desktop that has gone out on me also.  I guess you just can NOT expect more than 3 years out of todays cheap computers. Seems like ever since laptops and desktops went sub 500 dollars, then became junky.

HP Recommended

Hi All

dears I found  solution for HP dv6 audio problem it is simple no need format no need update. just reinstall the hardware driver by recovery ,, do bellow steps:

- start -> recovery manager(software)

-click advanced option

-check "Hardware driver re-installation " radio

-next

-next again

-choose from list "IDT high definition audio codec driver"

-next

-wait until re-installation done 

-restart

-done (thats it).. thanks

HP Recommended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/personal_computing/software/wme_sbl.exe

Download this driver.. Try to load it and follow instructions. Worked perfect for me,...Now I can stop swearing at my laptop!!!!!!!1

HP Recommended

Hi, rchambers201.

What system do you have?

I downloaded the file you have the link to and it is for Windows Me. Do you meant "Worked perfect for me..." or "Worked perfect for Me..." :Wink:

I have the same problem with my dv6000. It looks like a hardware problem maybe.

Also (I don't know if they are related) to turn on the computer I have to press the DVD button (more to the right of the power button).

Please, anyone had find a solution yet?

HP Recommended

No sound on my HP Pavilion laptop.  All control panel settings check okay, but the little lighted speaker soft key on the key board is glowing "red", indicating muted speaker.  How do I turn this red switch off?  Pushing it does nothing.

HP Recommended

Same problem on a dv6-1260se. Two days ago, there was an automatic update of 13 files. After reboot, there was an automatic adjustment of 3 of the 13 files. After the 1st reboot, the speaker control LED was on red but the speaker still worked. The smart switch could not turn the speaker control light to white. After the second reboot, the speaker control LED was red and there was no sound. Even though the speaker control light is red, the smart switch can turn the speaker icon on the task bar to on and off (with no effect). Furthermore, the HP advisor has stopped working and requires a new version from HP. Windows update does not work either - it lands on an empty page. The speaker and dual headphone properties test failed to play the test tone. Windows found a new IDT software driver for the IDT device but encountered an error while attempting to install it: IDT high definition studio codec access is denied. When I roll back with Windows System Restore to the last working installation to Feb.11th the sound but not Windows update worked. However, as soon as the HP or MS Server detects my outdated (but working) drivers, it again loads the 13 file update to my system and renders sound dead. Once, during a test on youtube, the system needed to install a U-Lead codec. It had to be installed because this was an endless loop. At another occasion, the system complained that it needs an unidentified device driver called "Generic volume shadow copy". These experiences have shown, that automatic updating has become a threat which can disable millions of computers. The updating mechanism cannot be made automatic since too many errors happen. False language update, false data width (32 or 64bit) and generic programming errors are common.

Inefficient code generated in international outsourcing is another headache. \

HP Recommended

I do warranty repairs for Dell and have taken my fair share of laptops apart.  I've torn my dv6000 apart a few times now and it appears to me that the ribbon cables used to connect the media bar with touch panel and speakers was an afterthought, not designed well at all.  The ribbon cable connection on the motherboard can come off easily and won't stay connected well.  I am thinking about getting some Bluetooth speakers for audio.  It is a hardware design flaw that I bet HP will never admit to.   If you aren't afraid to rip your keyboard out and try reconnecting the ribbon cable give it a try I've done it too many times and it won't stay connected at all for me anymore.  Some of what I read from people sounds like software issues while others sounded like the hardware issue I suffer from.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.