Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre Folio Convertible 13-ak0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Internal mic does not work-- tried Voice Recorder app, Teams, Zoom.

All drivers are up to date.

external mics connected to the audio jack work ok.

seems like other owners of the same laptop have the same issue.  Is there a fix?  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@phoenix888 Welcome to HP Community!

I read the post regarding the internal microphone not working. I will be glad to assist you with this. You've done some smart troubleshooting and provided a splendid account of the issue. Kudos to you for that. 

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

• Did you try the tap test in audio settings for the headset microphone?
  • Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?
  • Have you confirmed the Microphone is listed under device manager?

• Did you try an external microphone to check if that works?

For a start please try these steps:

• Right-click on the speaker icon on the lower right corner of the taskbar.
  • Then please select recording devices. Please select the Headset Mic option
  • Then tap the Lid near the top gently several times next to where the webcam is located and check if the microphone bars respond to the taps and receive inputs.
  • If they do then it should work with a driver uninstall and reinstall.
  • Please make sure that the headset Mic is set to default and enabled in properties option.

Then please perform these steps from device manager.

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Check the box that says delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Then check if this does the trick for you.

If the issue continues, then check if the internal Microphone is working and perform all the relevant steps from this link:  HP PCs - Resolving Microphone Problems (Windows 10,    to troubleshoot the issue Then check if it gets resolved.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on my HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14-ba0xx

Audio from the internal microphone is noisy (sounds as if it is under water) and only picks up taps on the screen and finger clicks. No voice can be heard even when very close to the screen.

It sounds as if the driver for the array of internal microphones is adding rather than cancelling out the background noise.

An external microphone using a headset connected to the audio jack works perfectly.

In Device Manager the driver for the Internal Microphone array has the following events: Device started, Device Configured (Audioendpoint.inf), Device Not Migrated.

The device not migrated message states:

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{9fb06230-270c-447e-8fea-5f7d7c0606fd} was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{a2b9b419-9eb1-4da6-83df-fc782e1fe157}
Class Guid: {c166523c-fe0c-4a94-a586-f1a80cfbbf3e}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F100
Present: false

sfc /scannow

and

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

reported errors but these were resolved and now this runs cleanly but the problem with the internal microphone persists.

Drivers deleted and reinstalled via Windows and via HP Support assist on different occasions, troubleshooters and Advanced microphone steps followed:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05942024

This led to successfully updating the BIOS and Chipset drivers though despite reboots and reinstallations of drivers this did not resolve the device not migrated issue and the audio from the internal microphone array. 

Windows build 10.0.19041

Microphone Array driver version: 10.0.19041.1 - Microsoft Driver, Location: On Realtek(R) Audio

Realtek audio driver 6.0.1.8656

Microsoft High Definition Audio Device 10.0.19041.264

HP Audio Hardware Support  Application 11.0.6000.173

Realtek audio universal service 1.0.0.159

Realtek audio effects component 11.0.6000.675

Sound Research Audio Effects Component 2.0.8.40

Synaptics Audio Effects Component 1.0.0.38

HP Recommended

@DaveM999

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• Step 1: Check the microphone hardware (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 
  • Step 2: Update the audio driver
  • Step 3: Use the Troubleshooting tool
  • Step 4: Configure the sound settings in Windows
  • Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813 to complete the troubleshooting step.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.