Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Linux

Hi, I bought a new HP spectre x360,

For my job I need to run simulation trought OpenFOAM, so it's easyer for me to use Linux.  Nearly everything work out of the box, except one things... sound.  I post a bug on launchpad, here the link:

Bug Hp spectre x360

It as nearly everything you need to debug the phenomena. I know that you don't officially suport linux on that computer, but it would be fun to be at least linux compatible.

Thing I know:

There was a bug that really look like this one on the Dell XPS 13. The bug was in the bios, wich was setting the sound card to alternative mode that was not working. I think is the same here. I need to find a way to tell the bios to load everything like if it is windows 8.1 (Yeah, I just ask no special treatement!) 

Thank you,

I will give all support you need. I really wish to correct this bug.

PS: (HP if you correct this bug you will sell three more of those computer, they all want one in the lab!)

Follow up:

It's seem that we are now hable to use the lagacy mode from the sound card. It's good, but not perfect. The fix for the i2c will come soon, the latest kernel code ask about a mysterious drivers file that doesn't exist right now in the linux firmware directories. So, this case is close because the issue as been addressed. Follow the launchpad bug for furter improvement.

**SOLUTION MAY NOT BE THE SAME FOR YOUR DISTRIBUTION**

From Spano:

If you use gummiboot you should have something like that:

options acpi_osi="!Windows 2013" acpi_osi="!Windows 2012" acpi_backlight=vendor root=/dev/sda2 rw

The selected solution under this post is for Debian based distribution. I will put the solution for other distribution on this post, if they are on the forum. (You don't find it? Adjust the solution to fit your distribution and post-it, you will make people happy 🙂  )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I SOLVED IT!

After hours of pain, i can now use the built in soundcard with headphones, as well as the internal speakers.

HOW TO:

Edit grub config by doing:

'sudo vim /etc/default/grub'

Edit the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash'"

To:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi='!Windows 2013' acpi_osi='!Windows 2012'"

Then run:

'sudo update-grub'

Reboot TWO times.

BOOM! Sound works in headphones. The sound card is now in HDA mode (not I2S).

To confirm, run:

'aplay -l' and make sure you have the following in the output:

'card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3242 Analog [ALC3242 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0'

I'm running kernel Linux spectre 3.19.0-21-generic #21-Ubixuntu SMP on Ubuntu x64.

BR,

Ingmar

EDIT: Even the speakers are working, they were just muted in Alsamixer. Hallelulja!

EDIT2: Added the 'acpi_backlight=vendor' parameter to the options line, based on @spano 's input. Thanks!

EDIT3: Fix as pointed out by venividivici24

View solution in original post

135 REPLIES 135
HP Recommended

Hi @Spationaute ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Follow up:

HP took the case in charge. The support service said they register the bug and sent it to their engineers. The guy's were kind. I still hope they correct the bug in a futur bios update. That would be wunderfull. The last contact was Friday the last week, so we must be patient to let people the time correct the bug.

I'll set this tread as "solve" when the problem will be.

To the HP support team, good work!

Now it's time to see if you organisation have good managings skill 😉

HP Recommended

Yikes, a rep told me that linux would be supported with this laptop. Now I have one as well, and I've got the same problem with the sound!

HP Recommended

It's should be supported. All the hardware is well supported on linux, most by the builder itself! That's what make me really sad about this.

HP Recommended

Don't forget to click on "This bug affect me" on launch pad (the ubuntu debugging website). May be they will find a workarround befor hp engineer correct the bug.

HP Recommended

Done. I also reached out to HP just now. I should have a case worker calling me in 24-48 hrs about this.

HP Recommended

Well, I'm at the end of my return window. Rather than hope that a solution ever materializes for this, I think I'm going to just return this laptop and try for a different brand.

So close, HP. I liked this laptop, too.

HP Recommended

Same problem. I have tried all the work arounds for other laptops with the same sound card (ie Dell XPS 13) like stated on OP's post, using acpi_os="!Windows 2013", updating to lastest kernel version (4.1-rc1), with no fix.

If it is a bug with the BIOS (like everything is pointing to), I hope hp can provide a fix soon, because everything else is working fairly fine, and while is not fundamental (at least for me), it is detrimental.

I am pretty sure that a good chunk of the people that are planning to get this laptop are deciding between a Dell XPS, a Mac, or this one, and if you need acces to a Unix system... well Dell is doing great with their Linux support, so don't lose the race for something silly.

HP Recommended

Hi @CarlosOlguin

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.