Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Cant get it to work on Fedora, tried both rhgb quiet and quiet splash at the start.
Might move to Ubuntu if it means I can get sound.

HP Recommended

@bobfred12 wrote:

Cant get it to work on Fedora, tried both rhgb quiet and quiet splash at the start.
Might move to Ubuntu if it means I can get sound.

First thing I would verify is that your grub update actually got written to disk;

Try:

'cat /proc/cmdline' to list the parameters that were sent to the linux kernel when booting. Make sure the output contains your 'acpi_osi' parameters.

Mine looks like this:

'BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-21-generic.efi.signed root=UUID=88b2ad91-cb5a-4d1a-b153-dccfa80cfca6 ro quiet splash "acpi_osi=!Windows 2013" "acpi_osi=!Windows 2012" acpi_backlight=vendor vt.handoff=7'

If not, those parameters were never sent to the kernel at boot, which probably means your grup update was not successful.

BR,

Ingmar

HP Recommended

Thank you ingmarolsson! My Spectre is now fully functional.

I'm using Ubuntu Studio. For people (like me) who don't remember all the vim key commands you can also edit the file with nano.

HP Recommended

@ingmarolsson wrote:
First thing I would verify is that your grub update actually got written to disk;

Try:

'cat /proc/cmdline' to list the parameters that were sent to the linux kernel when booting. Make sure the output contains your 'acpi_osi' parameters.
Mine looks like this:

'BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-21-generic.efi.signed root=UUID=88b2ad91-cb5a-4d1a-b153-dccfa80cfca6 ro quiet splash "acpi_osi=!Windows 2013" "acpi_osi=!Windows 2012" acpi_backlight=vendor vt.handoff=7'

If not, those parameters were never sent to the kernel at boot, which probably means your grup update was not successful.

BR,

Ingmar

Thanks ingmarolsson,
Yeah my grub isnt updating. Do you know how to update it?

Looking at the wiki, Fedora uses Grub2, should I be editing a different config file?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2

Thanks for your help so far! appreciate it. Better than HP 😛

HP Recommended

Great post, thank you so much. Sound now works for me, yay :D.

I noticed, however, that you have a slight error in your grub config options. Instead of it being like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi='!Windows 2013' acpi_osi='!Windows 2012 acpi_backlight=vendor'"

It should be like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi='!Windows 2013' acpi_osi='!Windows 2012'"

With the backlight option in the Windows 2012 part of the string, it broke sound, but when I put it into the front of the string, sound worked againg and I could adjust my backlight 🙂

HP Recommended

@venividivici24 wrote:

Great post, thank you so much. Sound now works for me, yay :D.

I noticed, however, that you have a slight error in your grub config options. Instead of it being like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi='!Windows 2013' acpi_osi='!Windows 2012 acpi_backlight=vendor'"

It should be like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi='!Windows 2013' acpi_osi='!Windows 2012'"

With the backlight option in the Windows 2012 part of the string, it broke sound, but when I put it into the front of the string, sound worked againg and I could adjust my backlight 🙂

Thanks for pointing that out! 🙂 I corrected the command line string. I think the source of the error was actually not the order of the options, but rather that the quotes for one of the parameters was not ended properly, basically making the backlight option+parameter part of the acpi_osi option, like this:

acpi_osi='!Windows 2012 acpi_backlight=vendor'

HP Recommended

Is anyone else getting green lines/pixels watching vidoes on VLC?

HP Recommended

No problem with vlc / smplayer on Archlinux with Big Buck Bunny in 480/720/1080p.

Kernel: 4.0.6-1

HP Recommended

Not working for me - please help!

running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, kernel release 3.16.0-41-generic

hardware: HP Spectre x360 - 13-4002dx

copy and paste of grub line:

copy and paste of grubupdate:

john@johns-laptop:~$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for john:
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-41-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-41-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-40-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-40-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-38-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-38-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-30-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-30-generic
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda2@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
done

copy and paste of aplay -l:

john@johns-laptop:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3242 Analog [ALC3242 Analog]
john@johns-laptop:~$

I can adjust display and I get options for adjusting sound but there is no sound coming from laptop.  Alsamixer shows volume options for the PCH and none are muted.  Sound plays fine when booted into Windows.

HP Recommended

Please disregard above post - it is working now.  I double-clicked the "Speakers-Built-in Audio" icon under sound settings and that seemed to do the trick.  Thanks anyway!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.