Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP DA0518SA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having issues with my headphone mic every time i plug my headphones in the mic never works I have tired every thing i have uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it I have been through the windows sound settings in the settings app and control panel i'm not sure if its a windows update witch has done it i am on windows 10 1903 but the driver says it's for windows 10 1903 i am so stuck on what to do i can't even use my laptop mic when the headphones are unplugged even if i change it in the settings. The headphones aren't broken they work on other devices and i have also tried many other headphones with this laptop and they still don't work. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Rhydian,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You should allow your Windows 10 system and your application to access your headset microphone before you can use it. To check this:

1. Click the Start button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then click the Settings icon.
  2. Click Privacy.
  3. Click Microphone.
  4. Click the Change button, then make sure the Microphone for this device is turned on.
  5. Make sure Allow apps to access your microphone is turned on.

Hopefully, this fixes your microphone issue. But if not, try the below steps.

Your headset mic may be disabled or not set as the default device on your computer. Or the microphone volume is so low that it can’t record your sound clearly. To check these settings:

1. Hold down the Windows logo key and press the R key on your keyboard at the same time to bring up the Run dialog, then type “control” and press Enter
  2. In Control Panel, select Large icons from the View by drop down menu.
  3. Select Sound.
  4. Select the Recording tab, then right click on any empty place inside the device list and tick Show Disabled Devices.
  5. Right click the Headset Microphone and click Enable.
  6. Right click it again and select Set as Default Device
  7. Right click Headset Microphone and click Properties.
  8. Click the Levels tab, then drag the volume slider towards the largest value.
  9. Click OK, then click OK.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion but it still doesn't work unfortunately any other suggestions iv'e tried everything i can think of and it is very frustrating because it worked before so if you have any thing else that might fix it please let me know.  

HP Recommended

@Rhydian,

Follow below steps to resolve this issue.

1. Run Audio Troubleshooter

- Launch Troubleshooting by typing and clicking “Troubleshooting” in   

Windows search.

- Click on "Playing Audio".

- Follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check if microphone isn't disabled.

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Click on "Show disconnected devices", and "Show disabled devices".

- Select on Microphone, click on "Properties". If it is disabled, enable it.

- Once enabled, set Microphone as default audio input device.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i'm sorry to say this didn't work.

HP Recommended

@Rhydian,

I recommend you perform a system restore back to the date when everything was working fine.

Following the steps in the below article to perform a system restore.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the late response but unfortunately i can't do a system restore because i don't have that partition anymore.

HP Recommended

@Rhydian,

Perform a reset on the computer following the steps in the below article.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.