Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a way to fix this sound issue?

Installing Win 10 Creator's update was performed automatically (which ought to indicate that MS deemed the 8460p compatible - or..?) and everything else seemed to work fine. But: no longer any feed from the 3,5 mm jack in my HP docking station.

Instead, sound now came from the internal speakers regardless of action; as if the unit no longer recognized it beeing docked and hooked up to external speakers via the 3,5 mm jack. 

More: after OS update, only the "Realtek" speaker icon was present in audio settings, whereas in previous OS version speaker icon as well as headphone icon - both labeled "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" - were selectable here.

(Needless to say of course is that sound distribution through external speakers when docked worked fine prior to OS update.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update on this problem: I just had another go at Win 10 Fall Creator´s Update (or rather: Windows did) and of course the no sound-problem persisted.

However, I have bloody well solved it now!

After trying all the on line-suggested fixes short of yet another Win roll back, using Device Manager I simply uninstalled the built in sound control unit "High definition Audio Device" and insted uploaded an installed "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" from HP:s website (as adviced by the site under "Software and Driver Downloads" - "Driver-Audio").

Then, after rebooting, everything works again: internal and external speakers, headphone jack and audio feed through the docking station. Heureka!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem, and don't know what to do.

HP Recommended

Just go to device manager and remove the driver for audio and reinstall the driver and restar your computer. It worked for me!

HP Recommended

Really? I'll certainly try that - and post a comment about the outcome.

HP Recommended

Removing all sound units from device manager - Reinstalling newest driver + THEN Reboot fixed it for me..  and I now have jazz in my workshop again - 

Thnx

HP Recommended

Thank you. I have so far refrained from having another go att Creator´s update. But if/when I do (and if sound still won't work properly) I'll lean on our positive experience and try that fix. :Wink:

HP Recommended

Update on this problem: I just had another go at Win 10 Fall Creator´s Update (or rather: Windows did) and of course the no sound-problem persisted.

However, I have bloody well solved it now!

After trying all the on line-suggested fixes short of yet another Win roll back, using Device Manager I simply uninstalled the built in sound control unit "High definition Audio Device" and insted uploaded an installed "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" from HP:s website (as adviced by the site under "Software and Driver Downloads" - "Driver-Audio").

Then, after rebooting, everything works again: internal and external speakers, headphone jack and audio feed through the docking station. Heureka!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.