Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help but I'm having issues using headphones on my laptop.

When I plug them in, sound continues playing out-loud on my system. I know my headphones work as they work on other devices and I've tried other headphones. This has only started happening in the last few days. I've tried restarting my computer and look at the HP help pages, but the screenshots seem to be on a different operating system so I can't use them...! Any help would be great! Simple explanations are ideal!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@26651

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the headphone jack is not responding,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Are you using the 3.5mm jack or USB powered headphones?

If it's USB powered, make sure other devices are being detected on the USB port, if not, it could be a USB port issue: Click here to troubleshoot.

If it's the 3.5mm headphones, try the below steps:

Ensure that your headphones are connected to the right jack plug (the green one/Line-out). 

Make sure the device is recognized by the computer

1. Connect the device to the computer.

2. From the Start screen, type sound to open the Search bar, then select Sound from the search results.

3. Click the Playback tab in the Sound window.

4. Right-click an empty area of the Sound window.

5. Click Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.

6. If the device is listed as "Currently unavailable" or "Not plugged in," disconnect it, then reconnect it to the port. If the device is still not detected, refer to the Check the headphones or headset section of this article to check the device and connections.

7. Test the device by sending a signal from the sound source. For example, play a .mp3 music file to test the headphones or speak into the microphone to test a headset.

If it's not detected, then either your drivers are missing or the headphone jack itself has failed.

It's not the drivers, considering the speakers are fine, so we can rule that out,

If you have the headphone showing under playback devices, Then all you need to do is set them as the default and that should fix your problem.

If the issue persists, run a test on the headset: Click here for details (look under Testing the headphones using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) - The document is for Windows 8, however, it applies to Windows 10 as well.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Im in a HP Probook 430 G4 core i7  my 3.5 mm port only works on one side of the earphones. The earphones work ok on other devices. Please help 

HP Recommended

I know this was written two years ago, but I was searching the forums because I was having this same problem, and setting my headphones to my default device fixed the issue for me! 

Thanks!

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@26651

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the headphone jack is not responding,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Are you using the 3.5mm jack or USB powered headphones?

If it's USB powered, make sure other devices are being detected on the USB port, if not, it could be a USB port issue: Click here to troubleshoot.

If it's the 3.5mm headphones, try the below steps:

Ensure that your headphones are connected to the right jack plug (the green one/Line-out). 

Make sure the device is recognized by the computer

1. Connect the device to the computer.

2. From the Start screen, type sound to open the Search bar, then select Sound from the search results.

3. Click the Playback tab in the Sound window.

4. Right-click an empty area of the Sound window.

5. Click Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.

6. If the device is listed as "Currently unavailable" or "Not plugged in," disconnect it, then reconnect it to the port. If the device is still not detected, refer to the Check the headphones or headset section of this article to check the device and connections.

7. Test the device by sending a signal from the sound source. For example, play a .mp3 music file to test the headphones or speak into the microphone to test a headset.

If it's not detected, then either your drivers are missing or the headphone jack itself has failed.

It's not the drivers, considering the speakers are fine, so we can rule that out,

If you have the headphone showing under playback devices, Then all you need to do is set them as the default and that should fix your problem.

If the issue persists, run a test on the headset: Click here for details (look under Testing the headphones using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) - The document is for Windows 8, however, it applies to Windows 10 as well.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

HP Recommended

Encountered the same issue with hp elitebook and this resolved the issue. :ThumbUp:  still works after 2 years

HP Recommended

Hello,

I was having the same symptom. My headphone jack was recognising that headphones were plugged in but I was not getting any audio through my heaphones.

I tried several suggestions to no avail however I eventually resolved the issue myself by right clicking on the audio icon in the dock and selecting the "Spatial Sound (Off)" and setting it to "Windows Sonic For Headphones". I have subsequently turned this feature back off and my audio is still working.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ben

HP Recommended

I believe these settings are out of date, as I have no "Playback" tab. None of the steps after that are possible. Please update this thread, as my problems did not arrive until you made me update my computer.

HP Recommended

@Jcmadden

Thank you for using HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.