Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay542tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have bought a new HP Notebook from a retailer. After few days of use I found that my laptop doesn't detect my headphone when I plug it into the headphone jack. When I play a video while the headphone being connected I can only hear sound from the speaker.

When I go to: Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound 

In the list of Playback devices I can see only Speakers. And nothing else. No Headphones.

I downloaded Intel Driver Update Utility tool and ran a scan. No use.

I also downloaded HP Support Assistant and scanned the system for required drivers. After scanning it recommended an Audio driver which I downloaded and installed. Again nothing happened.

Please help me resolve the problem.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Murad_87

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP Notebook - 15-ay542tu and it does not detect the headphones when connected to it. You can hear the audio only through the speakers. In playback devices of control panel, there's only the speakers option listed. I read that you have installed the Intel Driver Update Utility tool and ran a scan and have also run the HP Support Assistant and nothing helped so far. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did you reinstall the audio drivers?
  • Do these headphones work on any other device (if available)?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to run a hardware test on the headphones using the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Audio - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. Click Audio, then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

If the test passes then please continue to perform the steps as described in detail from this link (The steps for Win8 will work for Win10 to0). The steps are tried and tested and have helped. 

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi. Thank you for your reply. I tried your solution. I opened the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics main menu. And then selected Audio and then selected Headphone for audio playback test. I saw the page shown below. It was asking to connect the headphone to its jack although my headphone is already connected. I pressed OK. But nothing happens. It comes back to this same page.  The test doesn't proceed any further. It seems the system itself is unable to detect the headphone.

About the questions you asked in your response:

1. I went to the HP Support page to download the Audio Drivers for my laptop:https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-ay500-notebook-pc-series/12229013/model/14689...  .There are two Audio Drivers listed in the page. I have downloaded only the second driver. Not the first one. Don't know if its required.
  2. My headphone works with my smartphone.

Should I go to the nearest HP Customer Service Centre and get help.

Headphone test.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi @Murad_87.

I reviewed the post comprehensively. You've done stupendous troubleshooting and remarkable diagnosis of the issue. I appreciate that greatly and kudos to you on that score. 🙂 As @MKazi is out of office for the day I am jumping in to assist you here.

Please try these simple steps.

Please try with a different headset first. If that does not work try the steps mentioned below.

Right click on the “Volume icon” on the bottom right corner.

b) Select “Recording devices”.

c) Under the “Recording” tab right click on the white empty space and check the box that says, “Show disabled devices” and “Show disconnected devices”.

d) Right click on “Stereo Mix” and “Enable” this device.

e) Highlight “Stereo Mix”, click on “Properties” and go to the “Listen” tab.

f) Check the box "Listen to this device", also change the drop-down box below "Playback through this device" to be your second audio device.

g) To verify that you've done this correctly, go back to the sound dialog tab “Playback”, you should now see both of your audio devices showing the little green graphs moving.

If it still does not work, the headset port is faulty and the computer needs to be serviced. Please contact HP phone support in this regard to get this done.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello! I have the exact same problem as @Murad_87 and I followed the steps above. The only difference is that when I ran the audio test a loud white noise was playing in my headphones while the same screen as @Murad_87's one was showing. I tried with 2 pairs that work perfectly on other machines and it happened for both of them. The only different thing I did was that I updated my BIOS and chip drivers. 

Is there a chance that my drivers are the problem?

HP Recommended

I'm wondering if there's been a solution for this problem as I am still experiencing this. Please advise. I tried the steps provided and not all the options were available to me 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.