Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Regards,

I use windows 7 Pro ( 32-bit) on HP Elitebook 8540p. After installing win 7 I've noticed, that the computer doesn't recognize headphones when I plug them in. Sound continues coming from laptop speakers.  Could you please help me with this issue?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Panchovilla4741 wrote:

Only speakers are listed as a playback device. Earphones are also not working. Do I have to reinstall the audio driver?

Hi,

Reinstall Audio driver may help. Please download from this site

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you see the headphone under Playback devices (Right click speaker icon at the bottom right) ? You may need to install driver for it.

hp1.png

Firstly enable it, Windows 7 will search the right driver for you.

Good luck.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Only speakers are listed as a playback device. Earphones are also not working. Do I have to reinstall the audio driver?

HP Recommended

@Panchovilla4741 wrote:

Hi,

Reinstall Audio driver may help. Please download from this site

Regards,

BH

HP Recommended

It works now, thanks.

HP Recommended
Hy my HP elite book 8540p keeps saying "plugged in, not charging" each time its plugged,.... Its gotten to 0% and doesn't come on except its plugged to power ... ,i tried uninstalling both composite batteries,but it still doesn't work, i don't know if the problem is the battery or a problem from my laptop..please help ...
HP Recommended

I see this helped someone else with possibly the same problem I am having, only the link is no longer active. Any idea where I should look to find the proper drivers to download?

HP Recommended

Hi @Sigma033,

Hi! Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

As I understand that the headphone is not working.
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details.

I need the exact model and product number of your computer. How to find the product details.

Which version of windows are you using?

Did you make any hardware or software changes?

You can refer to the below articles to troubleshoot the issue.

Article1.

Article 2.

Keep me posted with the outcome.

Have a great day! 🙂

HP Recommended

problem solved, i downloaded IDT High Def Audio CODEC and restarted my computer, gave me the headphone port option in sound settings which was missing before and woudnt allow me to use external speakers.

HP Recommended

Hi @Sigma033,

Thank you for replying! 🙂

I appreciate your time and efforts.

I am really glad to know that the issue is resolved and you able to use the headphone.

Feel free to reach out if need any other assistance.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.