Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever I try to use the microphone in the headset I recently bought, it picks up no audio. The recording-device manager thimg marks it (Mic in front panel (black), as unplugged, even though it very clearly is not. I have, and use, a splitter to with both the microphone plug and actual headphones plug plugged into it, and that into the (only) audio jack on my computer, and even the USB cable on it plugged in. It doesn't do anything but make it light up; but it's plugged in because it makes me feel like I've tried even more stuff. I've tried restarting my computer, uninstalling and re-installing all the drivers related to sound, and really every suggestion the first 3 pages of Googling the problem has brought up, including using the troubleshooting for recording devices in contorl panel, which also says the problem is that it's not plugged in. Which it still is.  The painted-on label next to the actual audio jack is also labeled for a headset; the headphone icon there very clearly has a microphone stick-thing on it, and they work perfectly fine to hear through, they just don't listen. Is there anything I can do to make the microphone work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @AlbinoBlackBear,

I believe you are using a Head phone that has two cables. One for the Audio and one for the Mic.

With this computer be sure that the device cable has a 4-conductor connector that supports both audio-out (headphone) and audio in (microphone). So there should be 3 black rings.

audio cable

The Newer Headphone has one cable for both but still has the 3 black rings.

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @AlbinoBlackBear,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the microphone. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue.

Please post the full product number and operating system in use on your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?
How many ring are on the mics plug?

how many ring are on the splitter?

Please get back to me with above information, so I can help you better.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Product number is E0J97UA#ABA.
OS is Windows 10, x64-bit.

There are two black rings on the splitter, the mic-jack, and the headphone-jack.

HP Recommended

Hi @AlbinoBlackBear,

I believe you are using a Head phone that has two cables. One for the Audio and one for the Mic.

With this computer be sure that the device cable has a 4-conductor connector that supports both audio-out (headphone) and audio in (microphone). So there should be 3 black rings.

audio cable

The Newer Headphone has one cable for both but still has the 3 black rings.

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I don't think that is the correct solution. Even if I plug the microphone in directly to the jack, and cut the splitter totally out of the equation, on my computer, it is still labeled as not plugged in, and will pick up no sound.

HP Recommended

Hi AlbinoBlackBear,

Your computer has a jack that requires 4 connections. plugging a mic with only 3 connections will not work.

You said your mic only has 2 black rings or 3 connections.

If you need more help, please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

You're right; I tried it without a splitter on another pair of headphones+mic I have, which has 3 rings, and it detected it. Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

I am trying to record audio and have plugged in  a few different kinds of headphones (all of which have a microphone as well) .... none of what i am saying is being detected. I am using a gateway laptop, product NV51B45u with windows 7.

I have already used google and a few help websites plus  the following ways to try to fix it...

Troubleshooting through windows, searching for drivers and updates etc..

Restarting the computer.

switching from the headphone jack to the microphone jack. 

adjusting the settings through control panel. 

basically I just need to be able to record some things for work and have bought 3 new pairs of headphones with mic's and none of them are being detected. 

help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.