Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 8440p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having a problem isolating an indication in the Device Manager with the High Definition Audio Device. I have Intel Graphics with this machine. The OS is W10 Pro. I loaded the audio driver for Windows 7 64 bit, but that did not make any difference.

The Device Manager indicates that "This device cannot start (Code 10)"

Driver Date 7/9/2015 / Version - 10.0.10240.16384 / Microsoft Driver

Details Tab - Value = High Definition Audio Device

From the Events Tab - (Information)

Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&36c4990c&0&0301 requires further installation.

Capture.JPG

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JS2045

The problem HD audio device you are seeing is the Intel HDMI audio device that needs a driver.

I looked around for a W10 driver for the hardware ID you posted, and can't find one.

You don't need that device unless you want/need audio through the display port.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the W7 Intel graphics driver from your notebook's support and driver page, but install it this way...so that you just target the problem audio device...

Download, but don't run this graphics driver...

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=4095873&swItemId=ob_127914_1&swEnvOid=405...

Download and install this free file utility.  64 bit is the second file listed.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-zip, right click on the graphics driver file you downloaded, and select 7-zip from the list of items.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the driver to the folder name (sp64360).

Go to the device manager and click on the problem Intel HD audio device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and see if the driver installs that way.

Then reboot.

If you explore the driver folder 7-zip created, and open the DisplayAudio folder, you will find the setup information file that has the hardware ID you posted as supported by the driver.

Whether or not this audio driver will work on W10, that I do not know.

But if you want to give that a try, that would be a way to do it without messing with the actual graphics driver.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Ive got the same problem on my HP Envy 15-j121tx notebook which is only 12 months old, as per usual HP are useless at providing a fix for this issue, After trying all thier supposed fixes & wasting heaps of data Ive got nowhere very fast in trying to resolve it.

Im at the stage where I feel like going & throwing my laptop into the sea as I cant see this issue being fixed anytime soon. HP had more than enough time in which to sort drivers out for Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Hi @JS2045

The problem HD audio device you are seeing is the Intel HDMI audio device that needs a driver.

I looked around for a W10 driver for the hardware ID you posted, and can't find one.

You don't need that device unless you want/need audio through the display port.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the W7 Intel graphics driver from your notebook's support and driver page, but install it this way...so that you just target the problem audio device...

Download, but don't run this graphics driver...

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=4095873&swItemId=ob_127914_1&swEnvOid=405...

Download and install this free file utility.  64 bit is the second file listed.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-zip, right click on the graphics driver file you downloaded, and select 7-zip from the list of items.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the driver to the folder name (sp64360).

Go to the device manager and click on the problem Intel HD audio device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and see if the driver installs that way.

Then reboot.

If you explore the driver folder 7-zip created, and open the DisplayAudio folder, you will find the setup information file that has the hardware ID you posted as supported by the driver.

Whether or not this audio driver will work on W10, that I do not know.

But if you want to give that a try, that would be a way to do it without messing with the actual graphics driver.

HP Recommended

Paul,

That did the trick. Thank you again for your help. I have three 8440p machines, this was the last one with Device Manager issues going from W7 to W10. Very impressed with you knowledge of these machines and how you know how to overcome various issues. Thanks much!

Jeff

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Jeff.

HP Recommended

That worked for me too. 🙂

I have an HP Envy 15-J053CL. It came with Windows 8 but has been upgraded to Windows 10. I installed a fresh 10, but have that driver problem. That fix worked by downloading the Windows 8 GFX driver, since they don't have one for 10, and extracted the files and only updated the problem audio device, and it worked. 🙂

HP Recommended

I tried these steps about 3 times and i get this windows 10 pro message.   Any ideas or help please!  Thanks

Screenshot (9).png

HP Recommended

Screenshot (10).png

HP Recommended

@Maddogmiller wrote:

I tried these steps about 3 times and i get this windows 10 pro message.   Any ideas or help please!  Thanks

Screenshot (9).png

some people said there was no image so here it is again.  Basically windows says the best driver that doesnt work is installed and wont let me update it 

Screenshot (10).png

HP Recommended

i don't know what is the The solution

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.