Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy 15 j139tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

In my device manager under Sound, video and game controller tab High Definition Audio Device shows this kind of exclamation mark. 1.PNG

Although I have beats audio in my laptop it seems I have terrible sound when compare to other hp and non hp laptops. 

I've tried to update device drivers and it says my drivers are up to date.

2.PNG

It is very kind of you if anyone can help me to solve this problem and recover sound quality in my laptop. thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is the Intel HD audio device (for the HDMI port), that needs a driver.

For some reason the W10 Intel graphics driver does not automatically install this driver, so here is an easy way to fix the problem...

Download, and save, but do not run this graphics driver from your notebook's support page.

This package provides the driver that enables the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72370.exe

Then download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-zip, right click on the graphics driver file you saved, and select 7-Zip from the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp72370).

After 7-Zip has created the driver folder, go to the device manager, and click on the problem HD audio device.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

Afterwards, you can delete both the graphics driver exe file, and the driver folder 7-Zip created.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is the Intel HD audio device (for the HDMI port), that needs a driver.

For some reason the W10 Intel graphics driver does not automatically install this driver, so here is an easy way to fix the problem...

Download, and save, but do not run this graphics driver from your notebook's support page.

This package provides the driver that enables the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72370.exe

Then download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-zip, right click on the graphics driver file you saved, and select 7-Zip from the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp72370).

After 7-Zip has created the driver folder, go to the device manager, and click on the problem HD audio device.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

Afterwards, you can delete both the graphics driver exe file, and the driver folder 7-Zip created.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul_Tikkanen,

Thank you very much for replying me. I have few doubts with your instructions.

1. Since your linkg ("http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72370.exe" ) directly download .exe file do I have to extract it?Can't I run it by just double clicking?

2. I am sorry for asking this, but I am lack of knowledge. You mention this "This package provides the driver that enables the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system." in your reply. This is about graphics, but i have problem with sounds in my speakers. Do they have connection?

Thank you again for the kind reply. :generic:

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It seems to me that you have two problems.  HD audio device missing a driver, and no sound from the notebook speakers.

The HD audio device is only used when you connect the PC to a TV with a HDMI audio cable.

That device has nothing to do with why the notebook speakers aren't working.

Please follow the instructions exactly as I have written them.

You do not double click to run the graphics driver.  You use 7-zip to turn the graphics driver exe file into a driver file folder, because you only want to install the HD audio driver, not the graphics driver.

If you want to just try running the driver, you can, but I doubt it will install the HD audio device, or it would have done that the first time.

For the notebook speaker audio, you need to install this driver by running the exe file and restarting the PC.

This package contains the driver that enables the IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63555.exe

HP Recommended

Hi paul_tikkanen

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi I got the same problem in desktop PC. as you said I am downloading  sp72370.exe file but when installing on my pc it says "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software"

Please help me cause i need audio sound.
I already tried everything but still, it's not working or maybe I was failed to install.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.