Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 17 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to open the cd drive.  When I request an eject (Software/Eject button) all that happens is, I hear the gears whirling but the rider (CD drive) does not open.  It sounds as though it is ready but it finishes the cycle and then shuts down.

1.  There is no quick release hole.

2.  This problem is sporadic.  Sometimes it works for a while (maybe a week) and then it has a snivy and I lose the use of the cd        drive until the next time it wishes to bless me with its designed operation.    

John R Rhinesmith, Army Veteran, Retired,
Life Member Knights of Columbus PGK, 4th Degree
Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Grandpa_Jack here are a few steps to eject the drive:

1. In Windows, click the power button, and then click Restart.

2. If the keyboard has a disc eject key, press it. The Eject key is usually located near the volume controls and is marked by a triangle pointing up with a line underneath.

3. In Windows, search for and open File Explorer.

4. In the Computer window, select the icon for the disc drive that is stuck, right-click the icon, and then click Eject.

Figure : Eject disc

Disc Eject option

The disc tray should open. If it does not, continue following these steps.

5. Ensure there are no obstructions stopping the tray from opening,

6. Restart the computer, and press the Eject button on the front of the drive when the first screen appears (before Windows launches). If the drive door opens this way, but does not open in Windows, another software application is taking control of the disc driver. Try shutting down or configuring any apps that create discs or monitor the disc drive.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.