Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 17m-bw0013dx
Microsoft Windows 11

My audio diver is the most updated and is working properly. I have done all the troubleshooting imaginable and still no fix. The issue is my computer is stuck "thinking" that I always have a headphone jack plugged into the aux port of my laptop even when there isn't anything connected. I can connect wired headphones and sound comes through them but when I disconnect them, nothing happens in the computer and it continues to play sound only through the disconnected aux port even when nothing is connected.

I have done the onboard  HP audio hardware diagnostics from the power on screen and the internal speakers passed and I heard sound coming out of them!

So long story short, the problem is my computer for some reason cant "sense" that I have unplugged my wired headphones and everything else works properly.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello @ENVYUser77 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Let me check your current system configuration.

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> Copy/paste following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU

( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor

BIOS Version/Date

(2) Start Windows <Device Manager>

- Expand <Sound, video and game controllers>

--->>> Send screenshot

(3Please report your results

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me! 

OS Name:               Microsoft Windows 11 Home

Version:                  10.0.22621 Build 22621

System Model:      HP ENVY Laptop 17m-bw0xxx

System SKU:          3WF11UA#ABA

Processor:              Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1992 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date:  Insyde F.29, 7/4/2022

screenshot.png

HP Recommended

Hello @ENVYUser77 

(1) Create Windows system <restore point>

How to Create a System Restore Point on Windows 10 or Windows 11

(2) Download and install

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

6.0.8656.2 Rev.H158.4 MBAug 4, 2020Download

HP Consumer Desktop / Notebook PC ME Firmware Update

01 Rev.A7.7 MBJul 24, 2018Download

(3) Restart Windows

(4) Test again

(5) Please report your results

HP Recommended

Ok so I tried those steps and unfortunately they still dont work.

HP Recommended

Hello @ENVYUser77 

(1) Download and install

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows

1.8.1.0 Rev.A339.2 MBMar 10, 2022Download

(2) Run <HP Diagnostics for Windows>

- Perform <all> tests

- Focus on Component tests <Audio>

(3Please report your results ( error messages, take pictures )

( if serial number, device id, UUID, System Board CT Number is displayed, please blur )

HP Recommended

Ok so performing the test via the installed app you provided didnt give me the option to choose between the internal speakers and the headphone jack so it failed. Here is a picture of the test you wanted me to do.download.png

I decided to run the HP Diagnostics from the startup menu by pressing the esc key while booting, then pressed F2 to test the audio. This one passed and I could hear the internal speakers.

From startup menu diagnosticsFrom startup menu diagnosticsFrom startup menu diagnosticsFrom startup menu diagnostics

HP Recommended

Hello @ENVYUser77 

(1) Backup <all> personal data (documents/pictures/videos etc...) to external <USB hard drive>

(2Please reinstall your operating system !

You need to prepare bootable <USB flash drive>

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10

Take time and read --->>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4511095-4511141-16

( All Software and drivers from HP are included )

Information: Your product number is supported: 3WF11UA#ABA

ub6424_1-1664653775782.png

(3Please report your results

HP Recommended

I ordered a backup external hard-drive and it will be here tomorrow. Instead of doing the HP Cloud Recovery Tool, would resetting the PC via the settings accomplish the same thing?image.png

HP Recommended

@ENVYUser77 wrote:

I ordered a backup external hard-drive and it will be here tomorrow. Instead of doing the HP Cloud Recovery Tool, would resetting the PC via the settings accomplish the same thing?

Hello @ENVYUser77 

The methods are similar, but not the same !

Keep me updated

Kind regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.