Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys, I don't normally post on forums and just Google my answers but this particular one has stumped me for a long time. I hope some of you can help me.

My problem: laptop audio not working.

When I plug in headphones into the USB jack, they work perfectly, which leads me to assume that the drivers have no problem (I wouldn't know, I'm not a very hardware-oriented person). 

When I play something out loud (without headphones or anything plugged in) I hear nothing. The audio icon is muted and says "no speakers or headphones plugged in". Which I don't understand, because normally laptops can play audio out loud.

This leads me to suspect that I've damaged my sound system. My laptop had a bad fall a while ago and I had to replace the screen. I suspect the same fall did some damage to my laptop, although if I remember correctly, after the fall my audio system was still working.

When I plug headphones in through the audio jack, the audio icon still has the red 'x' and says "no speakers or headphones are plugged in". 

Honestly, right now my only way of solving this is buying a USB to audio jack adapter, and I can't even find those in any of the tech stores near me.

Please help!!!! Any suggestions are appreciated. Assume that I've tried nothing and give me detailed instructions. I'll try anything, and cookie points to the one that solves my problem.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Also, just to add. I ran the dxdiag command, and the audio tab says that no sound card was found.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your notebook is not supported by HP for W10, there are no W10 audio drivers for the dv6 model series.

Since you get sound through the headphone jack, the audio chip itself is working.

So, it is one of two things...

1. The audio driver has an issue.

2.  The speaker connection from the audio ship to the motherboard was damaged when you dropped the notebook.

I can't help you with the second issue, but for the first one, the only suggestion I can offer would be to try the W10 IDT audio driver from a newer model notebook, and see if that works on yours.  Restart the PC after installing the driver.

6.10.6492.0    Jul 17, 2015

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71886.exe

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thank you for clarifying this!

Let me try the audio driver link, though I think the connection to the motherboard may be damaged.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended
Hey, So I tried installing the driver but it says "not compatible with your PC". Any further steps I can take?
HP Recommended

Sorry that driver version didn't work for you.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas for you to try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.