Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ZBook 17
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an issue that I can't find described elsewhere. When I start my laptop sound works fine, when the laptop is in the docking station audio is routed through the docking station or I can play via internal speakers. When I remove the laptop from the dock (I usually do this by sleeping the laptop first) the internal speakers no longer work. I have been through all the troubleshooting steps but no issues are found or apparent, it's just that no sound is heard through internal speakers. If I plug in headphones sound plays fine through headphones, when I unplug I get a notification that the jack has been unplugged but still no sound from speakers. When plugged back into the docking station all is well and internal speakers work again. The only fix I have found is to restart the PC when disconnected from the dock, but that only works until the laptop is next undocked.

Elsewhere I have seen mention of the SRS control settings but I cannot find that application/settings. The sound is Realtek High Definition.

I did not always have this issue, it has developed in the last 6 months or so, I have had the laptop for about 2 years.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello there,

I found a similar audio situation regarding undocking on Microsoft's Communicate Site and have pasted the steps to run the audio troubleshooting below.  This is specifically for Windows 10:

Run audio troubleshooter.

You might be able to solve some problems by running a troubleshooter that will automatically fix some common issues with audio.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

1. Press Windows key on your keyboard

2. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting..

3. Click on view all (on the left)

4. Select Playing Audio troubleshooter

5. Follow the prompted steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Check if it helps.

If the issue persists, uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers and check if it helps.

I'm an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.