Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 i7 Gem-Cut
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Within the last 3 weeks my Spectre has started making a loud and annoying buzz noise whenever the speaker is engaged; system sounds, youtube, etc.  To be clear, I can hear a 'fuzzy' drowned out sound through the speakers above the keyboard, but it is distorted by this overbearing buzz coming ,out from the bottom right of the keyboard (didn't know there was a speaker there!

The only way to stop it is to plug in an AUX cable to route the sound through headphones.  Even then it makes the occasional buzzing 'blip'.  All HP hardware and software tests come back fine, and it doesn't appear to be a WIndows update that has caused this.

Other forums have suggested build up of dust causing static but it's highly unlikely as this is never over carpeted areas.  My last Spectre lasted in the same work environment just fine for 3+ years.  

Quite annoyed,..

Very frustrated as this machine is only 4 months old and has been great until now.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@ComeInSpinner

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• Step 1: Check the microphone hardware (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 
  • Step 2: Update the audio driver
  • Step 3: Use the Troubleshooting tool
  • Step 4: Configure the sound settings in Windows
  • Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813 to complete the troubleshooting step.

And, also try this workaround:

• Open Control Panel.
  • Open the Hardware and Sound setting.
  • Open the Sound setting.
  • Select the Recording tab and double-click your microphone you have selected as the default recording device.
  • Click on the Level tab and reduce the Microphone Boost setting.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,

This did not fix it.  All audio drivers were already updated (I've done this twice already, but did it again anyway).  All Windows Updates are also up to date. In fact, it has nothing to do with the Microphone.

After disabling each sound input and output manually, I've narrowed it down to the Realtek(R) Audio device causing the issue.  When this is activated the buzzing returns.  However, if I plug in the headphones via the headphone jack (which do NOT have microphone capability), the buzzing disappears.

I'm beginning to think this is not a software issue... and the laptop is only 5 months old.

HP Recommended

@ComeInSpinner

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's uninstall audio driver and check.

• In Windows, search for and open Device Manager. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers. Right-click the audio device, and then select Uninstall start the driver uninstall process.

Restart your computer for the driver to reinstall.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. I just did this. Same result, constant buzzing from the speaker and audio sound is very crackly.

Quite sure I’m right and it’s not a software issue.  

What’s the next steps?

HP Recommended

@ComeInSpinner

Thank you for posting back. 

This sounds like hardware related issue with the internal speaker, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
That’s not really informative.  Can you provide me with clear steps on how to engage these engineers - There are so many options.! That’s like saying “google hp for more help”.

Please put more effort into your answer and I will gladly mark as accepted.

thanks in advance.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.