Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP-r203tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Speaker sounds in my laptop is very low. i tried the enhancement option which was posted earlier in the forum.windows audio driver has been installed.am i supposed to install realtek driver. please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In order to have full fuction of your laptop speakers, you will need HP's Realtek audio driver for your notebook model.  If still installed, you can use HP Recovery manager to redownload your specific Realtek's audio driver.  Search for "HP Recovery Manager" in your charms bar in W8/8.1 to see if you still have the Recovery Manager.  From there, you can hit the "Reinstall drivers and/or applications" tab.  From that tab, find "Realtek HIgh-Definition (HD) Audio Driver" and check that box.  That'll be the most recent driver that HP has for your computer. 

I know all this because I uninstalled my HP-modified Realtek driver on my Envy 15t. That HP-modified driver ruined the sound with external speakers because of its horrid fluctuation and compression via the Beats Audio control panel.   I uninstalled this driver and installed the latest Realtek driver from their own website.  Now I have awesome sound with external speakers, but the laptop's internal speakers are low and lackluster at best.  I don't use my laptop speakers much, so I'm fine with this until HP decides to fix this fluctuation and compression problem with their Realtek driver. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

In order to have full fuction of your laptop speakers, you will need HP's Realtek audio driver for your notebook model.  If still installed, you can use HP Recovery manager to redownload your specific Realtek's audio driver.  Search for "HP Recovery Manager" in your charms bar in W8/8.1 to see if you still have the Recovery Manager.  From there, you can hit the "Reinstall drivers and/or applications" tab.  From that tab, find "Realtek HIgh-Definition (HD) Audio Driver" and check that box.  That'll be the most recent driver that HP has for your computer. 

I know all this because I uninstalled my HP-modified Realtek driver on my Envy 15t. That HP-modified driver ruined the sound with external speakers because of its horrid fluctuation and compression via the Beats Audio control panel.   I uninstalled this driver and installed the latest Realtek driver from their own website.  Now I have awesome sound with external speakers, but the laptop's internal speakers are low and lackluster at best.  I don't use my laptop speakers much, so I'm fine with this until HP decides to fix this fluctuation and compression problem with their Realtek driver. 

HP Recommended

Hello Friend. @lbrou87 @samith123

I too have the same model laptop HP 15R203TX which I had bought on 18th June. I'm also facing the low quality audio in this model.

I had tried with realtek audio drivers too from the realtek website. But it failed to give me the good crispy quality sound. Right now I have uninstalled all the Realtek drivers to check the quality of sound in default windows mode. What I find that audio quality is still low but better than having realtek drivers installed.

I think this model has low audio problem even when you use your headphones and vlc player I need to maximize  the  full audio to listen clearly and I find low quality audio when audio is lowered down. So listening to the audio I have to use External speakers the laptop speakers are too low in sound same as using a headphone., Low audio quality.

I have reported this problem to HP Support but no reply's yet.

Do check my link of audio problem I'm facing.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/Poor-Audio-Quality-in-my-new-HP-15-R203TX/t...

-swarup
HP Recommended

I installed the realtek driver and my low volume problem got fixed.

thank you.

HP Recommended

Glad I could help.

HP Recommended

Hi friend,  @samith123  @lbrou87

I don't get any clue how Installing your realtek audio hd drivers solved the low audio problem. I tried 4 times installing and uninstalling the drivers new ones from realtek website/ drivers given in hp support for this model everything.

Still I found audio output is low, that too in my brand new laptop, either you use Headphones/earplugs/Internal Speakers. Same low audio ouput. And sound quality with using realtek drivers or default microsoft not so wow.

Unless you modify the EQ (Equalizer settings) in DTS control panel or enhancements i.e Loundness equalization, bass boost etc. 

The sound output is totally not crispy and wow. If you pay premium price for getting this laptop with broadwell processor then why not  I'm getting satisfying audio and try to mess with EQ settings everytime.

I won't consider the solution in your previous replys. 

@samith123  Kindly show me the link which realtek hd audio driver (win8.1x64bit) for this model   solved your low audio output .

-swarup
HP Recommended

Then it may not be the drivers at all.  This is a solution that worked for the OP; this same solution may or may not work for you.  It may be anything--BIOS update, hardware issue, bad update.  Was the laptop sound always  low from the momemt you purchased it?

All I'm doing is sharing my experience in hopes that I can help someone else, and it did for the OP.  Look around the forum for other people with the same problem.

HP Recommended

Friend @lbrou87

I have updated all new drivers given in Hp support website.  (i.e BIOS, Hardware everything). And I find from day one only the audio sound is low. I need to maximize to full  in VLC player to listen clearly and sound is not so crisy and wow.

I have to use external speakers for getting  good sound. Using  Headphones/Earplugs  doesnot give satisfaction that you are hearing good quality audio.

-swarup
HP Recommended

I don't work for HP, like you said in your own thread, so I can't help you.  The OP's problem is solved and I'm done here.  Good day sir.

HP Recommended

Reinstalling  IDT high definition driver worked on my envy 14 notebook with beats speakers and Win 10.  Volume increased from very low to a decible that reached a max of 92 dB when playing Adele (love in the dark).  Sound level measured using iphone 6s set horizontally on the touchpad.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.