Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Orvy
Level 3
23 20 0 32
Message 21 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Some update, Ashleydana, but not fully resolved. 
On Sept 16, AMD released a new updated driver.  I went to the AMD website and downloaded that update.  Instructions were to remove the old drivers first before installing the latest drivers.   In Windows, go to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program and uninstall the AMD Software.  Reboot.  Then install the newly downloaded AMD Software, which should be Rev. 20.9.1.  Reboot again.  Now you should be okay.

It is not yet known/resolved as to whether Windows Updates has the best drivers yet, so I would still Pause Windows Updates for the 35 day maximum to make sure the drivers don't get overwritten.

I think I put the actual steps for this somewhere in this thread.

I also have recently had an anomaly where my sound froze in Skype (it had been happening in Zoom).  I can't recall if I had updated the drivers from 20.8.3 to 20.9.1 or not yet.  However, I also have not reproduced that sound freezing - I used Skype a little, but not enough to get the "freeze".  So, we THINK the new drivers (20.9.1) are working, but I didn't provide any additional update because I wasn't sure yet.

sjn60
Level 2
15 15 0 9
Message 22 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After a month of trying everything and sending my HP ENVY x360 Laptop for repair to HP, the problem was not solved. I kept complaining and finally, once the case was escalated, HP offered me a gift card to purchase a new laptop (after returning my 15m-ee0013d). They never admitted this was a general problem...

Now I am waiting for my laptop to reach their headquarters, get the gift card, and start shopping at the pretty awful HP's web site. My intention is to get an intel model instead. The problem: they are more expensive. Well, everything is more expensive at the HP store than it is at Amazon or BestBuy and, to make things worse, they run fake periodical sales that artificially reduce, even more, their available stock. They seem to work in 72-hour cycles. So you need to be on the alert at 2:00 am when the sale starts to get a good deal. On top of that, once you place the order it seems to take two weeks to get the laptop.

I am wondering if the audio problem is a general thing that affects all AMD Ryzen laptops, and not only the 15m-ee0013d models. Do the Pavillion and Specter AMD laptops use the same drivers and therefore have the same issues? To get the equivalent power in an intel-7 laptop you need to pay a $400 premium. I paid $699 (and no taxes or shipping) for the laptop that I returned and I can't find anything similar for less than $1,200 + taxes. Unfortunately, I cannot use the HP gift card anywhere else but at the HP store.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation