Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15-df0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In the settings app in the sound settings page, the internal microphone (Mikrofonarray) is detected and works (records sound, when I speak, the slider moves), but in any other program or app (google chrome, messenger, skype, online games...), it is detected (in the list I can choose Mikrophonarray, which is the internal microphone, but no sound is recorded (for example the slider in skype settings doesn't move, and other people don't hear me). However when I plug in earphone, their microphone records the sound fine everywhe, in settings and in all apps. Any idea why?

I've tried reinstalling the microphone drivers (intel smart sound technology) and running the troubleshooter, but nothing changed. The problem has remained for months now. By the way, in settings, the apps do have permission to use the microphone. I assume some program is causing this, but I couldn't know wich one.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@mehdihachicha85,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the microphone is not working on your computer.

I’d love to help!

Follow the below steps to resolve this issue.

1. Run Audio Troubleshooter

- Launch Troubleshooting by typing and clicking “Troubleshooting” in   

Windows search.

- Click on "Playing Audio".

- Follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check if microphone isn't disabled.

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Click on "Show disconnected devices", and "Show disabled devices".

- Select on Microphone, click on "Properties". If it is disabled, enable it.

- Once enabled, set Microphone as default audio input device.

3. Check if microphone isn't muted.

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Volume Mixer".

- On the Microphone slider, slide it up to 100%.

4. Boost sensitivity of Microphone

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Open the Levels Tab, move the Microphone boost slider up to check audio.

5. Disable enhancements

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording“, Double

click on Microphone.

- Open the Enhancements / Effects Tab.

- Check "Disable All Sound / System Effects“. Click Apply, OK, test the Microphone again.

6. Change format of the Microphone

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Go to the Advanced Tab, choose any of the 16 bit options on the list.

Let me know how it works and you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

1. "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem.", for both "Playing audio" and "Recording audio" troubleshooters.

2. The microphone is enabled

3. There is no microphone in the volume mixer, only "Speakers" and "System sounds", and both are at 100%, also in "Microphone array properties" in the "Levels" tab, the level is at 100%

4. There is no "Recording" in the context menu of the sound icon on the taskbar, in the "Mikrophonearray properties" in the "Levels" tab, there is only one slider and it's at 100%

5. There is no Enhancements / Effects tab, in the "Advanced" tab of the "Mikrophonarray properties" i unchecked "Enable audio enhancements" but it didn't solve the problem.

6. In the "advanced" tab the drop-down menu under "default format" is grayed out, so I couldn't change it, however it was already at a 16 bit option. I have also tried changing the format of the play bach device to 16 bit, but that didn't solve the problem.

Just for reminding, the Microphone DOES work in ONLY the windows settings app and microphone properties window and DOES record sound correctly when I test it in any of those places, but in all other programs such as Skype, Online games..., it is detected (i can select it in the drop down lists in those programs), but does not record any sound (in other words my friends don't hear me when I talk.

HP Recommended

@mehdihachicha85,

I recommend you uninstall the audio driver from the device manager and then download and install it from the below link and check.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Here is how it is done.

1. Type "Device Manager" into the search field to open the device manager console.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,
in the device manager the driver of Microphonearray is Intel Smart Sound Technologies, but I didn't find that in the list on the HP website. I downloaded the Realtek Audio driver, uninstalled and reinstalled it in device manager, as well as checked for automatic updates for the intel sst driver, but the Problem wasn't fixed. I also tried the Audio diagnostics in the HP Support assistant, but the Problem persists.

HP Recommended

@mehdihachicha85,

I recommend you perform a system reset on the computer and check if it helps.

Follow the steps in the below article to perform a reset.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, doesn't the reset uninstall all of my programs? (I know that I can choose to preserve the personal files). If so isn't there any other way? I would really like to avoid having to reinstall everything.

HP Recommended

@mehdihachicha85,

We can try doing a system restore before performing a reset. You can do a system restore back to the date when everything was working fine on the computer.

Follow the steps in the below article to perform a system restore.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.