Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15m-es
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I'm pretty stumped with this one.  Here's the deal:

My microphone is not functioning properly. I've tried testing it out on Zoom, Skype, and even the voice recorder app that comes pre-installed with my laptop.  This issue also comes up when I try to use Google Hangouts/Meet.  All of this was working before.  Oddly, when I try to use Cortana it works and when I open up the sound settings and test the microphone I see it's responding to any sounds I make.

I can't make heads or tails of this. It's probably worth noting that everything was working fine up until I got a new monitor and started connecting my laptop to it (USB-C). Ever since then, I noticed it stopped working. I even tested it with the laptop unplugged from monitor and it doesn't work anymore either.

I've done a bunch of the standard troubleshooting recommendations including:

• Checking the settings in Playback Devices under recording to ensure the internal microphone is selected as the default option.  It also appears in this menu that it's hearing sounds I make.  
  • Uninstall and reinstalled drivers for my internal microphone
  • Toyed around with my Zoom and Skype settings.  There don't appear to be any settings for the Voice Recorder, so not sure what else to fiddle around with.  

I'm totally stumped! Any ideas? Let me know if you need more info, I'm happy to help fill in the blanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

HI@chuckiet, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that notebook has an issue with the microphone,

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please share the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Excellent description and a great diagnosis are done. It is greatly appreciated.

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps,

uninstall and Reinstall sound drivers:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. Double-click Sound, video, and game controllers.

3. Right-click the name of the sound hardware and uninstall

4. Restart your computer

5. Download Audio drivers from HP Website: https://hp.care/2ok413d

Updating the audio driver

Updating the audio driver can resolve many microphone issues. Use the following steps to check for and install audio driver updates:

1. Connect to the Internet.

2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

3. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

4. Right-click the name of the sound hardware and select Update Driver Software.

Figure: Update Driver Software option in Device Manager

Update Driver Software option in Device Manager
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software and wait for Windows to update the driver software.

1. Figure : Updated Driver Software: Search automatically for updated driver software

Updated Driver Software: Search automatically for updated driver software
  2. Windows checks to see if the updated driver software is available.

If an update is available, let Windows install the update.

3. When the update is installed successfully, Windows has finished installing the driver software for this device window displays.

Test the microphone.

4. If updating the driver did not resolve the issue, continue to the next section.

Using the Troubleshooting tool

The troubleshooting tool can fix common problems with audio recording. Follow these steps to use the Troubleshooting tool:

1. In Windows, search for and open Troubleshooting.

2. Under Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio recording, then click Next when the Recording Audio window opens.

Figure: Troubleshoot audio recording

Troubleshoot audio recording
  3. Click Next in the Recording Audio window.

4. Select the device you would like to troubleshoot, click Next, then follow the on-screen instructions.

Figure: Select device to troubleshoot

Select device to troubleshoot
  5. If a recommended action displays, select Apply this fix or Skip this step to continue to search for other problems.

If your problem has not been resolved, continue to the next section of this document.

Perform BIOS update: https://hp.care/2GMl4Yp.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.