Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-dw0088ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On September 27, 2021, I bought this laptop:

HP 15.6" Laptop - Natural Silver (Intel Core i5-8265U/512GB SSD/8GB RAM/Windows 10)

Model Number: 15-dw0088ca

The Device Manager shows:
Sound, video and game controllers
- Intel (R) Display Audio (Date: 2020-02-25, Version: 10.27.0.9)
- Realtek (R) Audio (Date: 2020-03-26, Version: 6.0.8924.1)

Unfortunately, this computer outputs no sound in the internal speakers. However, the headphones work if I connect them. Is there a fix?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@simplex1

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I understand that your HP Notebook internal speakers are not working correctly, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?
  • What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

ECHO_LAKE,

I will answer your questions:

Q: Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?

A: No. As soon I as bought the computer, I pressed the "Power On" button and the installation of Windows 10 began with Cortana not speaking in the internal speakers (the computer had that time, at the first start, no connection to the internet). 

Q: When was the last time it worked fine?

A:  The computer was new, sealed in a box having no sign of being opened previously. I bought it from a big Best Buy store in the region of Montreal, CA.

Q: What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far?

A:  I did many things after searching for a solution with Google. For example, I deleted the driver: "Realtek (R) Audio (Date: 2020-03-26, Version: 6.0.8924.1) but after a restart it was reinstalled automatically. Another thing I did was to perform an update of Windows 10 which was recommended to me by Windows itself.

On September 28, 2021, one day after buying the laptop, I went back to the Best Buy store and a technician there tried for about 30 minutes to activate the internal speakers (he did not open the computer, he just tried some software fixes) but finally found no solution saying that maybe there was a hardware issue with the internal speakers. This was just his speculation. He told me to take another new identical computer, sealed in a box, and leave the old one in the store.

The internal speakers of this new laptop work. Cortana started talking as soon as I powered the computer on, for the first time.

HP Recommended

@simplex1

Thank you for posting back. 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My speakers suddenly stopped on my Spectre x2.  Windows support went through absolutely every thing they could think off and escalated my issue up to the top.  Nothing Windows did helped and they believe it is an HP hardware issue, but I have yet to be able to figure out how to fix it?

HP Recommended

@GuitarTB

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,
I understand that you are experiencing Audio speaker-related issues with the HP Spectre x2, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine? 
  • What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824
  • Have you checked the Audio via headphones or external speakers?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Product number: Z8T47UA#ABA

Last time it worked fine was probably a week ago.  

I had not made any known changes prior to noticing the speakers no longer had sound coming through.  If I plug in headphones, I can hear the sound then.  Microsoft Windows support spent an hour and a half on my computer (2 different people) and tried everything they could, but never fixed it.  They were certain it was not a software issue.

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake and Guitar GB,

As I exchanged the HP laptop whose internal speakers did not work for another one with working speakers, I can no longer try the fixes proposed by Echo_Lake.

However, I am still interested in finding out how this issue with the speakers can be fixed, especially if a software fix exists (a new driver or something else).

HP Recommended

@GuitarTB

Thank you for posting back.

The last thing I can suggest trying to restore a computer back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue. 

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.