Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-da0088nr 3VN27UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

3 days ago I followed the Windows Update prompt to update to the October 2018 v1809 update). I believe I previously had Windows 10 v1803 when purchased.  My HP Laptop is just over 1 month old!  Anyway after the Update the Speaker (vol cont) now has a red X and while hovering the mouse over says, "No Audio Output Device Is Installed".  I DO NOT HAVE AUDIO from my internal speakers and Device Manager shows (under 'Other Devices') an Intel High Definition Audio (driver) with an exclamation point.  I've tried updating the driver but it appears there is none available (online, on my computer or through Windows Update.)  I've tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting, the same warning appears.  During the Update I believe I might have had my Bluetooth speakers paired to my laptop.  They still work fine.

I connected to a Microsoft tech (through Windows Update) who, after setting up Remote Access, did try to reinstall some of the vendors drivers, but to no avail.  So he reinstalled the previous Windows version.  And STILL the same problem!  I've gone through the HP Assistant and reinstalled all the original factory drivers and applications that came with my laptop, to no avail!  I'm wondering if somehow this is a BIOS problem because isn't the speaker hooked up to the motherboard, and isn't that what the BIOS settings are for?  I'm not sure of anything anymore except that I am spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME on this problem for being just a little over one month old?

Please HELP, if you can before I consider Resetting or Recovering this new laptop.  Thank you. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The problem you have might be solved by following the guidance at the link below, if is was caused by the same update referenced in the support article at the link below.

An October Windows 10 update wrecked the sound on hundreds of PC's.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06166393

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thank you for the tip.  Unfortunately the update didn't work for me.  But somewhere in the shuffle, I think I ended up on Intel's Community and someone mentioned a similar problem.  I'm actually ecstatic to have my internal speakers working again after spending about 10 hours troubleshooting... installing, uninstalling, rebooting, researching dialogues from HP, Microsoft and Intel.  When I saw the red X on the speaker volume go out, I didn't really care at that point what the fix was.

But since you were so kind to reach out to try to help me, perhaps I can help someone else with the same problem.

The article from this Intel Community forum said something to the effect that Realtek's High Definition Audio (driver) should work on just about any Windows platform.  He said from the Device Manager, uninstall any Realtek audio drivers present.  By unhiding the 'hidden files' I found two instances of Realtek audio drivers.  After uninstalling and reboot, he said see if the error (exclamation point) is still there.  If so, try updating the driver (right click, Update).  A prompt said I needed to reboot to get the effect of the new updated driver.  After reboot, my speaker icon was clear of the red X and I had sound once again.  Wish I would have taken screenshots to show, but I'd been doing it all day and just neglected to do any more.  Hope it helps someone.

HP Recommended

Kudos Paul!  However way I got there, you led me to the resolve.  Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you were able to get the sound working again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.