Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion g6z-1d00 CTO Notebook PC, Model number A2F43AV.  It came with Windows 7 Home Premium and I upgraded the OS to Windows 7 Pro (64bit).

The Problem is that I have no audio, either through the speakers or headphones even though the Sound Volume is set to 55.  I first noticed the audio problem after replacing the CMOS battery, as the laptop is 4 years old and it intermittently gave me wireless connectivity issues.  After installing the new CMOS battery, I noticed the wireless driver was missing and downloaded/installed it.  Everything was fine except the audio.  Then I reset the BIOS but did not update it as the BIOS version is v.49, and that is the most recent.

I also downloaded/installed the audio driver and rebooted the PC.  Again, there was no sound.

Finally, I checked the audio drivers and the system reports they are working with no issues.

What should I do next?

Thanks, Terry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Terry57

Thank you for replying,

I was under the impression that those links would take you to step by step guidance, however, it looks like they're not working,

Nevertheless, I have provided the details below:

To perform a hard reset on a computer with a removable battery, use the following steps:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.

3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.

6. Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.

7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.

8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.

10. After reconnecting each of the peripheral devices, run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers.

To perform a hard reset on a computer with a sealed or non-removable battery, use the following steps:

3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

For performing system recovery, this link should work: Click here

Keep me posted for further assistance,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Terry57,

May the Forums be with you 🙂

As I understand there is no sound on the notebook since the CMOS battery was installed,

If you've already ensured there are no hardware interferences or issues that might have occurred on the computer since the new component was connected,
I would recommend the below steps:

Update the Audio drivers from the Official HP website for windows 10 (click on change on the top to switch between OS).

For more steps, click on the below links:

Perform a hard reset

Reset BIOS to defaults

Run the Audio test from the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)

Update the BIOS

reset your computer

Perform an HP System Recovery

Let me know if those steps worked for you. 
If they did, that’s awesome! 
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

I tried resetting BIOS to their defaults, running an audio test from HP's UEFI, and updating the BIOS.  Nothing worked.

I am unsure of what you mean by a "hard reset," so I did not do that.  Also, I did not (reset the computer) as I am uncertain of how to do it.  Regarding the "HP System Recovery," how do I go about that option?

Thanks, Terry

HP Recommended

@Terry57

Thank you for replying,

I was under the impression that those links would take you to step by step guidance, however, it looks like they're not working,

Nevertheless, I have provided the details below:

To perform a hard reset on a computer with a removable battery, use the following steps:

5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.

6. Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.

7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.

8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.

10. After reconnecting each of the peripheral devices, run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers.

To perform a hard reset on a computer with a sealed or non-removable battery, use the following steps:

For performing system recovery, this link should work: Click here

Keep me posted for further assistance,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried the "hard reset" and it worked.  The strange thing is that it didn't work right away when I performed a system reboot.  It did work when, after shutting it down, I turned it on the next morning - there was sound!

Thank-You for your patience & persistence, and have a great day!

Terry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.