Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 13t-u100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently updated  my laptop (HP Pavilion x360 - 13t-u100 CTO) to Windows 10 1909. Right after updating, I see that the audio output through speakers has been completely lost. I have tried:

- Reinstalling the audio drivers from HP's website. (This process uninstalled the current drivers, rebooted and installed the new drivers).

- Uninstalling the Windows update. My laptop now runs on 1903. 

- Tried Windows HD drivers instead of Realtek driver. Still no luck. 

I can confirm that the audio works fine through Bluetooth speakers/headphones. Windows thinks there are no issues with the driver. I do not see any error message on Windows anywhere. Please let me know what more can be done. 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @amanevan

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Run Audio troubleshooter 

1) In Windows, type "Find and fix audio" into Search, or right-click the speaker icon on the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.

2) Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.

Re-install the Audio drivers 

1) In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2) Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

3) Right click on the Audio drivers and click on uninstall.

4) Restart the computer. 

If the issue persists, perform a System restore

1. Shutdown the computer. 

2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 

3. Press F11 once for System Recovery. 

4. Choose the Keyboard Layout. 

5. Click on Troubleshoot. 

6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Restore. 

7. Choose a Restore point or a Restore date when the computer was working fine. 

8. Click on OK to initialize the System Restore.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Kumar0307 wrote:

Hi @amanevan

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Run Audio troubleshooter 

1) In Windows, type "Find and fix audio" into Search, or right-click the speaker icon on the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.

2) Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.

Re-install the Audio drivers 

1) In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2) Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

3) Right click on the Audio drivers and click on uninstall.

4) Restart the computer. 

If the issue persists, perform a System restore

2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 

6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Restore. 

7. Choose a Restore point or a Restore date when the computer was working fine. 

8. Click on OK to initialize the System Restore.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

Hi Kumar, 

Looks like I do not have System Restore enabled on this machine (this is my mom's laptop). I have tried the remaining steps already and here is a brief synopsis. 

Running Find and Fix audio troubleshooter recommends me to 'turn off enhancements' - which does not exist in Realtek's driver. 

I have tried uninstalling Realtek's audio driver to use Windows HD sound driver. No audio. 

Turned off enhancements as recommended by the troubleshooter - Still No audio. 

I have also tried restarting audio services as recommended here Fix sound problems in Windows 10

This may not be a driver specific issue as I face the problem with Realtek's driver and inbuilt Windows sound drivers. 

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@amanevan, thank you for the response.

If a system restore point is not available on the PC, we will have to reinstall the OS.

Follow these steps to reinstall the Operating System on your PC:

6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Recovery. 

Note: Back-up all your data as System Recovery will delete everything that you had saved or installed on the computer. 

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.