Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Stream Notebook PC 13
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I have Stream Notebook PC 13 after restoring it to the initial state (Windows 8.1 Bing) the speakers in Windows stopped working.

The UEFI test shows that they still work, I can hear sounds when the test is performed, so it's not hardware failure.

In Windows the drivers are OK, when I connect external speakers or headphones audio works.

But it looks like Windows is not forwarding audio to the build-in speakers.

Devices show single output Speakers/Headphones Realtek High Definition Audio. Test fails. Works for externally connected hardware.

Driver is 6.0.1.7339 Realtek, update option is greyed out.

Please let me know how to bring back the speakers in Windows.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@kwiatek_flower

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I see that you're experiencing an issue with the internal audio

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps:

Step 1 Hard Reset -

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected.  

3) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds.  

4) Plug-in the Adapter.  

5) Try to turn on the computer. 

Step 2 BIOS Defaults -
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F10 once for BIOS. 
4) Press F9 for BIOS defaults. 
5) Press F10 to save and exit. If the issue persists continue next step:

As a workaround, request you open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button/menu. 

  

Expand “Sound, Video and Game controllers” or under “other devices” in Device manager. 

To find the audio drivers installed on your computer. 

Right-click on the audio drivers listed there and uninstall the Intel high definition audio and Realtek audio drivers listed there. 

Delete the drivers if prompted during the uninstall process.  

Once done, click on View and select Devices by connection on the Device manager.  

Expand ACPI x64 based PC. 

Expand PCI Express Root complex and right-click on Intel Smart Sound technology Audio controller and uninstall the device.  

Make sure to delete the driver if prompted during the uninstall process.  

Once done, click on Action and Scan for hardware changes twice in the device manager.  

Close device manager.  

Open Settings from the Windows menu. 

Click on Update and Security and check for updates to get the new audio driver for your computer.  

  

This should resolve the issue. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@kwiatek_flower

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I see that you're experiencing an issue with the internal audio

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps:

Step 1 Hard Reset -

2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected.  

3) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds.  

4) Plug-in the Adapter.  

5) Try to turn on the computer. 

Step 2 BIOS Defaults -
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F10 once for BIOS. 
4) Press F9 for BIOS defaults. 
5) Press F10 to save and exit. If the issue persists continue next step:

As a workaround, request you open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button/menu. 

  

Expand “Sound, Video and Game controllers” or under “other devices” in Device manager. 

To find the audio drivers installed on your computer. 

Right-click on the audio drivers listed there and uninstall the Intel high definition audio and Realtek audio drivers listed there. 

Delete the drivers if prompted during the uninstall process.  

Once done, click on View and select Devices by connection on the Device manager.  

Expand ACPI x64 based PC. 

Expand PCI Express Root complex and right-click on Intel Smart Sound technology Audio controller and uninstall the device.  

Make sure to delete the driver if prompted during the uninstall process.  

Once done, click on Action and Scan for hardware changes twice in the device manager.  

Close device manager.  

Open Settings from the Windows menu. 

Click on Update and Security and check for updates to get the new audio driver for your computer.  

  

This should resolve the issue. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already tried the other 2 with hard reset and BIOS, with no luck.

But the wrokaround helped :generic:

Removed all drivers and Windows used generic ones after restart.

Now there is speakers and headphones as a separate device not one for both.

So thanks :generic:

BTW

All this happened after I decided to start over from scratch, so set the laptop and the OS to the factory state.

I was working fine until that moment.

HP Recommended

@kwiatek_flower

Thank you for posting back.

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. If you need any help, feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.