Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Laptop -15t-ed000 touch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just unboxed four of these  HP ENVY x360 Laptop -15t-ed000 touch SKU:8LZ71AV_1 and none of them show a built-in microphone according to windows 10.  If I plug in an external mic to the headphone jack (phone earbuds) it sees it and works fine.

I updated drivers, even the BIOS, but nothing makes the mic show up.  This model has the "Bang & Olufsen" speakers, and that "Audio Control" tool doesn't run either.

Also, there is an error in the list of devices in the Device Manager - [Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED] is listed with the exclamation mark saying that "This device cannot start (Error 10). Failed to load external libraries."

This is after unboxing and doing (multiple) full windows updates.

These laptops are for work, and we need the mic for teleconferencing while we are all stuck at home. please help! thanks!

Bert

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@SadBert

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

If the issue persists run a Test from F2 Diagnostic

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the Notebook.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Audio > Microphone

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply KrazyToad - a couple of things to report:

I have two of the laptops here with me, and two have already gone out to employees.

I turned one on, it did a quick update, and now all the tools work and it sees the built in microphone.  I literally just opened it and logged in, now it works perfectly.  Go figure.  I am crossing my fingers that the other two that I already handed out follow the same path. 😃

On the second one I have here, no dice.  I checked for Windows updates and it said it was up to date.  I tried your suggestions (thank you again!) and the HP Support Assistant said that the RealTek HD audio driver was out of date.  I thought this was victory, but it did the update and failed, and i forced it to update again by picking "download" again form the list, and it updated (well, it completed the update without any error dialogues, and the HP Support Assistant says it worked).  Restarted, still no microphone.

So I did the F2 > component test and it never gave me a microphone test, just a speaker test...

Is there a way to image the working one?  or maybe revert to the original OS and try from scratch?

Comparing the two laptops Device Managers, the working one has no errors, and the broken one still has the "!" triangle under System Devices > [Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED].  They are both running the same driver version:  10.25.3851.200

Another note, these laptops all have the 16gb RAM upgrade, but are otherwise "stock."

Also, how do I turn off all these annoying McAfee ads?!!??!!!

thanks

HP Recommended

Also, some more progress..?

If I go into the Device Manager and remove AND delete the Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED that had the error, and THEN delete the controller above it in the list (same name, just says controller) and reboot, EVERYTHING WORKS!

Until you update Windows.  Then it breaks again.

I have tried rolling back drivers and other combinations of things, but this one works as long as you don't update Windows.

Any idea for how to fix this permanently, instead of just until Windows updates again?

thanks!

HP Recommended

@SadBert

I understand your concerns. 

Have you tried to update the BIOS?

If not, please update the BIOS.

Please perform the below steps and check.

1) Select Start, and in the search box, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator. 

2) Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the spaces before each "/"). 

3) Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/"). 

If the issue still persists, please perform the system reset.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Same problem here. No microphone detected.

I first powered on this machine around July 15. At that time, the microphone worked. Since then, something has changed and it is no longer working. I have barely used this machine, so I am guessing it is an automated updated, either windows, or ...?

I see the same trouble in device manager, an exclamation point next to "Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED". The error is "The device cannot start. (Code 10) Failed to load external libraries." The driver version is 10.25.3851.200 dated 4/20/20.

I tried the following to no avail:

- uninstalling / reinstalling the Nvidea GeForce MX330 driver

- Updating everything found in HP Support Assistant, including the bios and RealTek Audio driver. The RealTek Audio driver failed to install however.

- Resetting the PC

- Rolling back the Intel Smart Sound driver

Here is a dump of my system info with some private date removed:

C:\Users\erica>systeminfo

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version: 10.0.18363 N/A Build 18363
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Organization: HP
Product ID: 00325-96387-53907-AAOEM
Original Install Date: 7/30/2020, 8:08:01 PM
System Boot Time: 7/30/2020, 8:07:00 PM
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-ed0xxx
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 12 GenuineIntel ~1803 Mhz
BIOS Version: Insyde F.11, 6/8/2020
Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS
System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone: (UTC-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory: 16,124 MB
Available Physical Memory: 10,663 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 19,068 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 12,712 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 6,356 MB
Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys
Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon Server: \\WIN-35AMD0LIIQO
Hotfix(s): 9 Hotfix(s) Installed.
[01]: KB4562900
[02]: KB4497165
[03]: KB4497727
[04]: KB4517245
[05]: KB4524569
[06]: KB4541338
[07]: KB4561600
[08]: KB4565554
[09]: KB4501374

HP Recommended

Same problem. New HP Envy laptop. Microphone worked fine for the last several weeks now all of a sudden it can not be detected. No idea what to do? 

HP Recommended

Hi HP, any update on this? I am still without microphone.

HP Recommended

Hey! I just installed the "Windows 10, version 2004" update and the microphone is back. Yay!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.