Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Does anyone have a patch that works with Linux kernel version 6.6.7? The old patch seems to no longer be working.

HP Recommended

If I understand correctly, this 12/18/23 post from Cirrus seems relevant:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20231218151221.388745-1-sbinding@opensource.cirrus.com/

The CS35L41 HDA driver requires various system defined properties to configure
the driver for an individual system. For some laptops, these properties are
missing in the BIOS. To be able to support these laptops, there is a mechanism
in the driver to get this configuration from a lookup table, to be able to add
or patch _DSD as necessary.

However this mechanism currently only allows for laptops to be patched one at
a time, however, in the case where there are many laptops which need to be
configured generically, a generic function has been added, with an additional
lookup table to the individual laptops, indexed by SSID.

To support laptops using SPI without _DSD, an additional workaround is needed
to be able to support the SPI Chip Select GPIOs whose resources are defined
inside the _CRS for the Speaker ACPI Node. This workaround only works for
SPI laptops which contain up to 2 amps, since the SPI controller would not
allow more than 2 amps to be instantiated without the cs-gpios entry in
_DSD.

These patches add support for various ASUS laptops without _DSD, but the
framework added here allows for support for more laptops in the future
for other manufacturers. Support for laptops without _DSD from other
manufacturers is coming in the future.

Maybe we just have to wait for HP to be included as the last paragraph says, but this sounds promising. My Envy x360's speakers still did not work with the latest OpenSUSE Tumbleweed as of today.

HP Recommended

This change is actually a little earlier there is new functions for patching the dsd table and stuff but I haven't managed to work out how it all works from the actual code yet. Ultimately it does mean the whole method used in that patch is no-longer viable, though part of it is still working.

If the cirrus guys manage to beat me to adding support for HP laptops, I'll be very happy, though the fact this is such an issue in the first place is kinda worring in 2023... This lets not include all the information in ACPI _DSD has been a problem before EFI was even a thing. It should not still be a problem in the first place.

HP Recommended

same HP-ENVY-x360-2-in-1-Laptop-15-ey0xxx

HP Recommended

I have a fe0xxx ive been trying to run arch on. i found someone modified the patch on github to work on arch for ew0xxx but after sucessfully applying it to kernel 6.1, im still not getting any sound, do i need to change an ID somewhere? how would i find it?

HP Recommended

Just today I installed Fedora Linux 39 (Workstation Edition) on my HP Envy x360 2-in-1 Laptop 15-fe0xxx (Firmware version F.04 and Kernel version Linux 6.7.4-200.fc39.x86_64). My system presented the same symptoms: audio worked fine on headphones but didn't on the built-in speakers. I found this amazing community-maintained thread and decided to apply @Waldfee 's patch. The sound got 'fixed' after running the first script:

sudo ./setup_snd-hda-scodec-cs35l41.sh

I rebooted and ran the second script, but didn't notice any differences.

Weirdly, although, the commands `sudo dmesg | grep cs35l41-hda` and `sudo dmesg | grep cs35l41-hda` don't print a thing on my terminal. Literally nothing. But the audio works. Well, I wrote 'fixed' in between quotations because both speakers, Left and Right, only reproduce the sound of the Left channel. That is, I have no way of hearing the Right channel of audio through the laptop's built-in speakers.

That said, I'm amazed by the work of @Waldfee and others for their support and work. As a junior software developer who just started to work, I find it incredible that actual community developers fix these types of things, which require such a specific set of skills and great dedication. I would definitely love having stereo audio on my laptop, but mono-audio is astronomically preferrable than no-audio.

HP Recommended

where do i get these scripts?

HP Recommended

Has anyone tried the new 6.8 kernel?

HP Recommended

Compiling now, but it should work as long as the right quirk has been added to sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c for your specific laptop model. The other part is no-longer needed as they have changed it so the driver automatically figures out and builds the rest of the missing DSD data.

I'm using:

SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x103c, 0x8a2e, "HP ENVY Laptop 17t-cr0000", ALC287_FIXUP_CS35L41_I2C_2)

but that doesn't fix the LEDs and micmute key is broken currently.

Also not sure it should be ALC287 there.

HP Recommended

Compile just completed and sound is working, so yes, 6.8 works with the right quirk.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.