Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 11

First off, I had a no-sound problem at one point before I upgraded to Windows 11, when I had Windows 10. I do not know what the exact solution was but most likely it was some update that cured it, and prior to my recent update to Windows 11 audio was working. I am not convinced that it is simply the upgrade to Windows 11, or it is the fault of Windows 11.

Here is the issue.

After the upgrade to Windows 11, sound stopped coming out of the laptop's speakers, and I assume the microphone stopped working as well - I did not test. Assuming that the same old problem recurred, I reinstalled Realtek drivers only. I did not reinstall any other drivers. The Windows Update is current and there are no updates outstanding.

The laptop DOES play sound when plugged into my external speakers via my Plugable docking station, when it is using Plugable drivers. The external microphone attached to the docking station also works when the laptop is plugged into the docking station. So the MB is capable of delivering sound.

Unplugged from the docking station (i.e. using the Realtek drivers) and with headphones plugged into the headphone port, sound is heard. Microphone plugged into the same port (which has a headset icon so I assume it can work both ways) produces no input. But I get sound OUT of this jack.

Any ideas? Is this a known issue?

Regards,
Wayne
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Similar issue here. Upgraded today to Windows 11 and audio stopped working completely on laptop sound card. 

External audio devices play audio fine.

Any remedial solution?

HP Recommended

UPDATE: SOLVED

It would appear that the Windows 11 Upgrade reset some settings (who knew?!!) and the below images explain what the issue was on my laptop. Note: The default Windows 11 theme has a light background so in Fig 1 the icon in the Task Tray was not seen so that solution was not immediately evident.

Fig 1 - Task Tray.png

The icon leads to "HP Audio Switch", which should also be the tool-tip (which as I said does not show). Clicking on that icon, you get this:

Fig 2 - HP Audio Switch.png

In the HP Audio Switch ensure that the desired output device is checked (in this case "Internal Speaker" when not plugged into my Plugable Docking Station), and then click on the gear at the bottom for Bang & Olufsen Audio Control, to get this pop-up:

Fig 3 - B&O Audio.png

Solution is that Multistreaming has to be set to ON. 

It would appear that the Windows 11 Upgrade turned that off. With these settings my laptop plays audio normally.

Regards,
Wayne
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my 2019 Spectre model.  Laptop speakers and mic were not working, but I had no issues using my Jabra headset or bluetooth speaker.  I tried the audio diagnostics and no fix. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.