Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
spectre
Ubuntu LTS

There is a problem with audio speakers for all tiger lake Spectre family (2020). 

Sound works with headphones, hdmi, cast, but not with speakers.

Looking around internet it seems that there is a BIOS bug (probably addressed in windows) with an incorrect assignement of pins of audio chip. I'm not an expert, but exists a long discussion here 

SOF project people is working hard to find a workaround for this problem, but obviously an HP action to repair BIOS would be the best. Can we hope for this?

It's extremely annoyingto buy a new premium notebook and discover that there is a problem like this...

Can we hope that HP will do some functional checks under linux on its notebooks? 

It is really a pity in 2021 not to have notebooks of this level fully tested even in the most popular distributions, a collaboration with their teams would be desirable.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I'm annoyed at this too, doesn't look like hp is going to respond, I'm going to sell mine and they have lost a customer. I'm sure they don't care though. I'll do my best that the linux community never buys HP products.

HP Recommended

I changed my notebook with another one of the spectre x360 series, now I have an 15-eb0015nl, very similar but with a different chipset (Intel® Core™ i7-10750H).

But I had no luck: same behavior: speakers work in windows, not under linux.

I can't accept that a premium notebook is released without linux compatibility, and that the only answer form HP Support is "the only supported OS is windows".

We are inundated with requests for feedback for everything, how the site is doing, how the shopping experience was ... and when there is real feedback on a real product it is completely ignored leaving the customer alone with his problems.

I've always had the highest opinion of HP, and to me this behavior is unacceptable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.