Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ71
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I can use Skype quite well on my system,   My contacts do hear me perfectly, and the same is true for me hearing them.

However when recording (Voiuce recorder)) with the  internalmike, and hearing the reuslt afterwards the sound is very feeble, although  sound is set to maximum in "Settings sound" for the internal loudspeaker (& headphone) IDT high definition and the 

microphone (IDT high definition) is reacting say 1/4 of the maximum when speaking 50 cm from the screen.

Troubleshoot the microphone states on the start screen "no jack information available " for the i"nternal microphone - IDT high definition audio codec" - Current default device

Hiting next The troubleshooter states it could not identify the problem

1As for the Headphone & loudspeakers, the troubleshooter start window shows the  IDT high definition audio codec" - also as Current default device

next window suggest to disable "enhancements", folowing that suggestion the speakers & headphone window, tab properties sow me ifor the "ebhabcements propperties" : Status disabled.

so i hit ok not touching them

New Troubleshooter window suggests to play testsounds in order to chose the best "audio driver" , i guess this is the headphone & loudspeaker driver, where in settings sound, i just had 2 choices the one chosen and an "onafhankelijke" (independant, externa)l one As i don't have external headphoes i guess that won't help

I tried it before and did not hear anything, so this time i skipped this step

The next window states as"problems found" "Generic audio driver  ....  detected"

The detailed info states for this driver

Play Sound using generic Microsoft HD Audio driver
Completed

All other items state "Issue not present"

What can i do more?

I just downloades and installed HP Support assistant and registered my system

In the messages i found a promising one "having audio issues on your PC"

Opened it , clicked anddoubleclicked on the "launch" button: no effect

On the HP Support  assistant "troubleshooting and fixes i found in the "one click fixes" the "audio check" which is probably the program that failed to launch.

The program did not detect any issue either.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Jduch
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Use the troubleshooting tool in Windows

The audio troubleshooting tool in Windows can automatically fix common audio recording and audio playback problems with your computer. Run the troubleshooting tool using the following steps:

• In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon https://hp.dezide.com/data/pictures/hp-external/web_author/guid-a7774d00-7a27-4b96-ab1c-b2f8a7083ba0-low_86905_en.jpg in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  • Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  • Click Next.
  • Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.
  • Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).
  • When the troubleshooter is done, the Troubleshooting has completed page is displayed, listing any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.
  • Click Close.
  • If a recommended action is displayed, select Apply this fix.

Restoring the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager:

1. In Windows, search for and open Recovery Manager.
  2. Click Reinstall drivers and/or applications.
  3. Select the audio driver in the list, and then click Install.
  4. Wait for the driver to reinstall. When the installation is complete, click OK.
  5. Close HP Recovery Manager and then restart your computer.
  6. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, try updating the driver using Device Manager.

Updating the audio driver using Device Manager:

Make sure the audio device is enabled and then update the audio driver using Device Manager as follows:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  3. If a sound device is listed with a down arrow, the device is disabled. Right-click the sound device name and select Enable to re-enable the device.
  4. With the sound device enabled, right-click the sound device and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
  6. Windows checks for and installs any updated drivers found. The window displays whether the computer already has the latest available driver or if Windows was able to successfully update the audio driver.
  7. If a window opens asking you to restart the computer, restart the computer.
  8. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after updating the driver, continue to the next step.

If you completed these steps and the latest driver was already installed, use the following steps to uninstall and then reinstall the driver:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  3. Right-click the sound device and select Uninstall.
  4. Restart the computer to reinstall the driver.
  5. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, continue to the next step.

BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reaction:

Under my windows 10 system , i,tried to follow your instructions

1 Use the troubelshooting : done that as shown in first mail, several times, no fault detected

2. restoring the audio driver

"Recovery Manager" no such hit

"Recovery settings" appears

it has however no  "Reinstall drivers and/or applications." option

3. There is however a "device manager" with a "Audio inouts and outputs" lin that you can open and i see the 4 codecs as active (unbchecked)

it is possible there , using the right mouse to select "update driver"

i did ,this for both the internal microphone and the (internal) loudspeakers and (??) headphone

searchin onluine showed the best drivers were installe, and this was confirmed checking "search for updated drivers in Windows Update showing " You're up to date"

Testing with "voice recorder" i can record, but the when playing the recording the sound is very feeble. Onb my wife's laptop he results ar much better

- Loudspeakers settings are set to 100 %  (icon on startbar)

- i don't find a settings that would influence the sensitivity of the microphone.

On skype all is well but there in the settings "audio & video" there is a switch "automatically adjust microphone settings" which is set.

I don't find a similar "general windows switch"

My conclusion is: my microphone is OK but there is somethinglacking or erroneously set in "Windows and/or Voice recorder" 

HP Recommended

@Jduch

Let's try reinstalling windows operating system in order to isolate the issue. If its a software related issue system recovery will fix the issue. 

Click here to reinstall windows operating system. 

Keep me posted for further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, reinstalling Windows 10 OS sounds  like a scaring thing to do.

What are the risks?

What can i lose? 

HP Recommended

@Jduch

it's a great idea to reinstall your operating system every now and then, as it reaps numerous benefits. Before you reinstall Windows recovery partition, make sure you have backups of all your important files.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.