Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Laptop 15-cs1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to reset the sampling rate on the audio from 48 kHz to 44.1, and I can't find out how to do it.

I need to do this to use Airfoil software to cast audio to a Chromecast Audio device. I do not know of any other way to cast to this useful device from a normal audio player.

An alternative solution would be an audio player with a built-in capacity to Cast. I do not want to use a streaming service, because I have a large collection of music on my computer.

With thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MichaelWright You could wait for an update, however, if an older/generic version of the driver is working fine, please is the below steps to disable automatic windows to ensure it doesn't change the driver on its own:

Understand the limitations of this method. While disabling the automatic update service will temporarily halt any Windows 10 cumulative updates, the service will re-enable itself after a certain amount of time. Here are the directions:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.

2. Type services.msc and press Enter.

invoke run box and type services.msc

3. Scroll down to Windows Update, and double-click it.

find windows update and double-click it

4. In Startup type, select "Disabled". Then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the settings.

disable the windows update service

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@MichaelWright I suggest you follow these steps to get into your speakers Advanced settings and make the necessary changes:

1. Right-click the Speaker icon in your system tray and click Playback devices.
  2. Select your speaker, then click Properties.
  3. Click the Advanced tab.
  4. Click the drop-down and it will show you the sample rate and bit depths options as shown in the photo below:
  5. You can adjust it according to your preference. Once done, click Apply, then OK.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, when I get to the panel you show in your screen shot, the only choices I get in the drop-down are 24/48000 or 16/48000. I should have made that clear in my first question.

Just because it might help, when I right-click the Speaker icon, I don't get a choice for Playback Devices. The menu option that gets me to that panel is Open Sound Settings, which takes me to the control panel, where I can select Sound, then Choose Your Output Device, where I get Speaker/Headphone (Realtek), then Device properties and finally the Advanced tab. I'd do a screen shot of my menu choices, but when I try to use the Snipping Tool, the list collapses.

I'm using the HP Support app, and I have tried to apply all the HP updates (a number don't install on my machine). I also have automatic updates active on Windows 10. I have read that I might have better luck with the Windows generic audio driver rather than the Realtek one, but the instructions on how to do this never quite match the screens I see. I think I managed it once, but that didn't change the options I see for Bit Depth/Sample Rate.

I've hunted around on HP sites for sound drivers, but haven't found anything. I had assumed that my limited parameter choices were a hardware limitation. On the advice of the makers of the software I want to use, I tried VB-Cable, which is an old and well established utility which enables re-sampling, but for some reason that turned unpredictable on my machine, and did not reliably fix the problem.

It is, I suppose, possible that I have in some way munged my machine, but I haven't had it long, and have not tinkered with the OS in any way. On the other hand, one other piece of software behaves unpredictably (i.e., doesn't install), so I guess I might have to do a clean reinstall, and see if the problems go away. With a 600 Gigs of data, I don't want to do that, but still.

Anyhow, that's my problem. I always think "drivers" is the solution--would you have any advice on where to get and how to install alternative drivers? I think this system automatically scrapes details of my machine and OS, but I'll be delighted to dig out other info, if it will help.

Thank you very much for your interest.

HP Recommended

@MichaelWright Looks like you've done your homework well, please go ahead with the clean installation and let us know if that works,

I also suggest running an extensive hardware test using the below steps to ensure there aren't any hardware issues:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you once more. I downloaded the Hardware Diagnostics and did the test as you suggested. It found no faults.

I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the playback device, in case that would fix the problem, but I still only have those two bit-depth/sampling rate choices. Once more I tried to use the Microsoft Generic Driver, but somehow that didn't stay stuck.

I guess I'll do a search on real-time resampling, but I'm seriously wondering whether there might be some hardware limitation in the sound on my computer. I'll think about a clean install of Windows, but if I'm going to have to go through all that pain again (it takes me about a day to do a transfer of all my data), I might get a different computer while I'm at it.

Thank you very much for your help.

Michael

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipherer

Pottering around, I found this thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Realtek-High-Definition-HD-Audio-Driver-for-Windows-10-...

(sorry, I don't know how to link to threads on this forum.)

It looks as though my sound might have been munged by a Windows Update: which would account for the fact that it was all going merrily for a while. In this case, it looks as though I'll just have to wait for another update, or change operating systems.

HP Recommended

@MichaelWright You could wait for an update, however, if an older/generic version of the driver is working fine, please is the below steps to disable automatic windows to ensure it doesn't change the driver on its own:

Understand the limitations of this method. While disabling the automatic update service will temporarily halt any Windows 10 cumulative updates, the service will re-enable itself after a certain amount of time. Here are the directions:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.

2. Type services.msc and press Enter.

invoke run box and type services.msc

3. Scroll down to Windows Update, and double-click it.

find windows update and double-click it

4. In Startup type, select "Disabled". Then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the settings.

disable the windows update service

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, the current driver doesn't work, and I don't see how to revert to an earlier one (and don't have precise knowledge of when it stopped working). I think waiting for the next Windows update is probably the way to go.

Thank you for your responses.

HP Recommended

@MichaelWright When you uninstall the audio driver from the device manager and restart the device, it automatically installs the original or generic version of the drivers, however, if the windows update services aren't turned off - it would auto-update, hence you could attempt the earlier steps, before you decide on waiting as that could take some time.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

MIchael, DId you ever figure this out? I just got an HP Envy and am disappointed to go through all this trouble to get my DAW working which was never an issue on any previous computers. Was there any way to determine how to get more options for changing sample rate to 44000?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.