Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently update my Windows to the Creators Update and am having issues with my sound ever since.  It will work and then suddenly just not work any more.  When I try to go to Playback devices I get the error that  Windows Shell Common DLL is not responding.  

If I restart the computer the sound will come back but then after a while it stops working again.

I've tried updating drivers from the HP Site, making sure that all my Windows updates are installed, and even tried uninstalling and reinstalling my drivers for the speakers.  Nothing has worked.

Any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @k2mat,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are having audio issues on your HP notebook after the recent Creators update. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

For a start, please try these steps:

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Please check the box that says delete the software for this device.

• Then restart the computer and check again.
  • You should have no sound now.
  • Then visit this link: http://hp.com/drivers  and update the bios, chipset, and audio drivers.
  • If this does not work, then uninstall the audio drivers again and check the box that says delete the software from this device from device manager. Then restart the computer.

If it does not, please follow these steps:

Solution 1:

• Right-click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.
  • Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' ) then click the Properties button.
  • Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'.
  • Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped at all.

Solution 2:

• Right-click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.
  • Select the Communications tab up the top.
  • By default ‘when Windows detects communications activity’ is set to ‘Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%’.
  • Change this to ‘Do nothing’.
  • Press OK.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @k2mat,

We haven't heard from you,

This Post is with reference to the thread you had recently created at your friendly neighborhood (HP Forums),

I would like to know if the resolution I had provided worked for you?

Please reply back in your public post as the private message board is not always monitored

If you have any other queries, feel free to reply back to the Jeet_Singh,

And Thank You for being a Valuable Member of our HP Family.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  

Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Jeet_singh wrote:

Hi @k2mat,

We haven't heard from you,

This Post is with reference to the thread you had recently created at your friendly neighborhood (HP Forums),

I would like to know if the resolution I had provided worked for you?

Please reply back in your public post as the private message board is not always monitored

If you have any other queries, feel free to reply back to the Jeet_Singh,

And Thank You for being a Valuable Member of our HP Family.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  

Have a great day!

Regards,

Hi Jeet,

The first solution you provided did not work. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled.  Again, the sound works and then it will suddenly go off and wont come back until a restart.  This will happen again for 15-20 minutes then go out again.

Only started after the Creator's update.

I tried the other two solutions.  I don't have a tickbox for Loudness Equalization under the Enhancement Tab

For solution 2 I tried it and am still checking to see if it works.  Will update once I find out.

HP Recommended

None of the soultions worked.  The sound goes off again after a few minutes and only a restart brings it back.

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem (Elitebook 840 G4). Sound is failing after an hour or so, and comes back with a reboot. I have tried updating to a newer driver, but it's made no difference. Only thing which brings it back is a reboot.

Was any solution ever found for this?

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  Go to this website and scroll down to "Way #5" and follow the steps.  Be sure to restart your comptuer after the Troubleshooter  finishes.

This got my sound back, both from the internal speakers of my laptop and with my external speakers. And my music plays again--before I got error message before and could not play any music from my device.  (I have an HP Pavilion laptop that originally was Windows 7.)

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-no-sound-windows-10-creators-update.html

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  Go to this website and scroll down to "Way #5" and follow the steps.  Be sure to restart your comptuer after the Troubleshooter  finishes.

This got my sound back, both from the internal speakers of my laptop and with my external speakers. And my music plays again--before I got error message before and could not play any music from my device.  (I have an HP Pavilion laptop that originally was Windows 7.)

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-no-sound-windows-10-creators-update.html

HP Recommended

Didn't work.  Nothing works other than going back to a former build which is not an option any longer.  Very seriously considering purchasing a used Mac because you are forced to use Creator with a PC.  I only use this laptop to stream video.  It shouldn't be difficult to connect freakin' speakers to it.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and have tried all of the fixes as well. I get the message "the device you are configuring no longer exists"??!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.