Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion x2 detachable 10"

The sound quality out the 1/8" audio jack to an external system i.e., using as an mp3 player is awful. The bass frequencies are severely lacking and it is reminiscent of an old transistor radio. So while perhaps marginally acceptable with low cost earplug style headphones, playing through an external system is not.

There appears to be only one choice of audio driver for this system, and it is up to date per the on-system support. Is there another driver available or anything else I might try to improve the quality to at least the level of a mediocre mp3 player? Or might there be something defective with the hardware?

The primary intended use for this system was as an audio player. Its size, full sized USB port for flash drive, and mini-USB made it seemingly perfect. I didn’t not anticipate the lack of sound quality, so rather disappointing. I understand this laptop is not a high-end audio system, but my phone sound quality runs circles around it, so something doesn’t seem quite. I’m playing .wav files, not even .mp3, and am using 2 different players with the same results.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If the suggestion to use the usb external sound card was beneficial you might want to mark that post as "Solution" which makes it more prominent in searches and on internet feeds so more people will see it. Glad to have been of help. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Laptop sound thorugh the headphone jacks is really for things like Powerpoint presentations with audio not for serious audiophile output. You can get a small usb sound card that will put out much superior audio for a few bucks. 

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Channel-External-Sound-Adapter/dp/B0027EMHM6/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=14583...

HP Recommended

Sounds like an excellent tip - didn't know these existed. My proof of concept test was done with a lenovo t440 (slightly more $$$ computer...) that has Realtek HD audio so sound quality wasn't an issue. I'll check this out and post results when I get it. Thanks much! 

HP Recommended

Update

Difference is like night and day! Sound through the external USB sound adpater is "normal" so this was a good tip.

In case anyone is searching for something similar, a brief background of the "project".

Goal : portable, high capacity (to contain my entire music collection, CDs and digitized vinyls), music player with a better UI than scroll-type mp3 players, priamrily for use in car.

The X2 has a full USB and a mini for power, allowing a 256G thumb drive for capacity, and car charging through a USB power adapter. Personal preference for music player, but the Music Bee UI provides relatively easy access to whatever I want to listen to, and has an EQ for contouring the sound.

The need for an additional USB for the sound sound adapter was solved into a small Belkin USB hub, which also allowed me to add a wireless mouse. Good since I don't really like touchpads...

All works and now sounds great. Perhaps not as convenient as an iPhone, but that doesn't meet the requirements. I did end up with a different USB sound adapter than the one suggested - I'm happy to provide specifics if anyone wants to know more details.

Thanks again for the tip!

HP Recommended

If the suggestion to use the usb external sound card was beneficial you might want to mark that post as "Solution" which makes it more prominent in searches and on internet feeds so more people will see it. Glad to have been of help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.