Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook 15-au072sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this laptop for a couple of months now but have only just got around to watching videos or listening to music on it. When I try to do this the volume fluctuates wildly goimg from incredibly loud to very quiet. Adjusting the volume control has no effect. It happens with every form of sound source whether it be from YouTube eg or off music downloaded onto the laptop. Is this more likely to be a software or hardware issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Hopefully it's just a software issue, so you could try the following.

Download the Realtek HD Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78501-79000/sp78936.exe

When done, hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run window, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In Device Manager, expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the Realtek device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76501-77000/sp76608.exe

When the Chipset reinstallation has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder, right click on the Realtek installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook again and let windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Hopefully it's just a software issue, so you could try the following.

Download the Realtek HD Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78501-79000/sp78936.exe

When done, hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run window, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In Device Manager, expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the Realtek device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76501-77000/sp76608.exe

When the Chipset reinstallation has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder, right click on the Realtek installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook again and let windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thank you, that seems to have worked 🙂
HP Recommended

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my laptop.  It's only 2 weeks old!!  I tried doing what you send in the link and when I get to the last step to open up my downloads and run as administrator.....I don't even see a Realtek folder....  Not sure what to do next!

Thank you

HP Recommended

The chipset link comes up with an error so couldn't install  - but continued with the rest of the instructions and still worked! Thanks a bunch!

HP Recommended

the like for chipset is broke. im also having this issue

HP Recommended

there is no realtek and the chipset link doesn't work

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.