Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP ENVY m7-n101dx Notebook

Speakers make a loud static sound at random times: while audio is playing, when no audio is playing, when the mute button is pushed.  Usually loudest and most frequent when starting computer and when playing audio.  I checked and it says I have the most updated driver (Realtek audio).  Any other suggestions?  Conference calls are impossible.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@geniusmonkey

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you!

As I understand there's a an excessive static sound from your device,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you attempted to update the BIOS & Audio drivers?

(Click here to find and install the same, if you haven't)

Does this appear on an headphone or external speaker as well?

(Please check with the same and let me know)

While you respond to that,

I have a few recommendations: 

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS 

• Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean 

• Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat 

• Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes 

• Selecting power saves settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use 

For more details: Click here 

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have similar issues (HP 15t ae000, Windows 10 1803). The popping sound, static noise, came from the laptop speaker whenever there was an audio. The same noise apppearred when in the bios setup. This tells  me that the laptop generates the noise without the Windows operating system. The noise did not appear when I played audio over HDMI.

I have the lasted BIOS (F.50) installed. In fact, the weird noise seemed showing up after the BIOS update.

HP Recommended

Same issue.  The sound came on the worst during boot up.  The sound would come on while playing audio or with audio muted.  It was embarrassing because the sound it made sounded like someone expelling gas. 

I finally figured it out by tearing my laptop apart.  I have the Bang & Olufsen sound system built in.  The main (center) subwoofer under the touchpad was making the noise. I believe the subwoofer is blown.  I unplugged it and no more weird sounds.  I have a new one on order.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.