Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

switch is only on the newer models, switches off the camera, not sure about the microphone, probably also

HP Recommended

@HemiRR Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that camera and microphone are not working.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

I have a few steps that should help resolve this concern. 

Here's a related post that seems to have helped others: Click here 

(Though the header may be different, the solution should work for your concern as well). 

For troubleshooting the webcam issues: 

You can open webcam software, such as You-Cam, Skype, or Live Messenger, but the video does not display in the main viewing window. Use the following steps, in the order, they are presented, until the webcam video displays in your webcam software: 

Step 1: Make sure the webcam is the selected video/capture device for your webcam software 

Your webcam must be selected as the video capture device in your webcam software. If the computer has multiple video input sources, your webcam software might be connected to something other than your webcam. 

To select the webcam as your video source, open your webcam software and look for the video camera, video source, or video caption in the software's properties or preferences. Here are some common examples of selecting the webcam as the video source: 

​​​​ 

NOTE: 

The name of your webcam might display as USB Video Device, HP Webcam, USB 2.0 Camera, HP Pavilion Webcam, or similar. If you do not know the name, select a name to see if video displays. If not, try selecting other video device names until you see the video from your webcam display in the window. 

More details: Click here (Win10)

Check those headphones with an alternate device such as a Smartphone, laptop, etc... 

If they work on the alternate device, check if the Headphones are enabled as a playback device. 

To do this, please see the steps below: 

• Click the Start Pearl and then type Sound in the Start Search Box. 

• Select Change Sound Card Settings in the Start Menu Options. 

• Next, under the Playback Tab, right click and select Show Hidden Devices and Show Disconnected    Devices if available. 

• Select Headphones and enable 

To Increase the volume on your headphone: 

Method 1 

• Right-click the volume icon in the notification area. 

• Click Open Volume Mixer and increase the volume for Headphones. 

Method 2 

• Right-click the volume icon in the notification area. 

• Go to Playback devices and right click Headphones under Playback. 

• Go to Properties and set the volume to the maximum under Levels tab. 

• Click Apply and OK. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I'm having a similar issue:

Microphone does not work via the built-in or bluetooth.  Video is fine.

Voice Recorder app, Slack, Zoom, etc. do not register incoming sound at all from internal or external mics.

Testing with a Wired headset with Voice Recorder was successful. Audio was recorded.

Windows 1909

OS 18363.836

HP Spectre Convertible 15-ch0xx

Issue first noticed end of March 2020.

HP Recommended

@autotkgrad Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the internal microphone is not working.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you tried with Skype app?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
  • What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

• Step 1: Check the microphone hardware
  • Step 2: Update the audio driver
  • Step 3: Use the Troubleshooting tool
  • Step 4: Configure the sound settings in Windows
    Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813 to complete the troubleshooting steps.

And, also try this workaround:

• Open Control Panel.
  • Open the Hardware and Sound setting.
  • Open the Sound setting.
  • Select the Recording tab and double-click your microphone you have selected as the default recording device.
  • Click on the Level tab and reduce the Microphone Boost setting.

@johncarroll if internal Mic is working fine and it does not feature in ZOOM app then its issue with the ZOOM, not with the internal microphone.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

After checking drivers, I've noticed a related issue - there are none - the internal device was not 'migrated' apparently.

Updating drivers responds with the message that the device is already using the latest version. (How is that possible?)

Troubleshooting does not help since the system believes the Mic is working properly and that there are no driver issues.

Since this is tied to another issue string, I'll attempt to decipher that in regards to Migrating the microphone - which may mean that a prior Windows Update is the culprit - per my prior comment, that is roughly March 2020.

My machine is currently up to date and the issue is and was present regardless of the manual update and restart today.

Also, I have tested reducing the Mic Boost to 0 with no effect. Checked Mic Array on the B&O Audio window as well.

The internal mic is the only one installed when not utilizing a headset and it is also set as the default by default.

Again, the Mic works on an external, plug-in headset only at this time. The app you choose does not matter.

Mic does not operate on Internal or Bluetooth.

product # 2LV24UA#ABA

HP Recommended

@autotkgrad

Thank you for the update.

Please try creating a new user account on your computer.

Go to http://hp.care/2dWJKgW  and follow the steps to create a new user account.

If the issue still persists, please perform the system reset.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Per an HP Facebook Messenger tech note, Win10 1909 does not include audio drivers.

So, I suppose it could not be migrated when 1909 was installed.

The advice also suggests rolling back the OS to 1903.

As well as repeated suggestions to install and use the HP Support Assistant - as if it wasn't already factory installed and used several times to no avail.

Note - creating a new user account includes adding another email address. Not a great option and in this case, there are still no drivers apparently for Win10 v.1909.

How do we get Microsoft & Windows updated asap? Seems like 1909 was a December 2019 release.

HP Recommended

Reverting to Win10 1903 did not solve the issue either. Device manager shows the mic was not migrated, again.

HP Recommended

@autotkgrad

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

More for those that are following the issues - 

After Windows 10 2004 update, the internal mic still does not work as expected; although it has been Migrated.

Now, the speakers randomly 'play' an oscillating whistling.  After thinking that the sound reminded me of the feedback loop whistle when on a conference call where someone has left their laptop and phone mic's both on and AFTER you experience the accelerating echo of the speaker, I Disabled the internal mic. The whistle is no more.  SO - I cannot record with or speak with the internal mic, but, it is somehow ON and causing a feedback.

Also of note, the Camera is still not functioning and receiving a NoCameraInstalled error even though for all of the above, drivers are up to date, etc. and that there are no security or privacy restrictions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.