Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-ch004na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Today when listening to music on the laptop the sound suddenly became distorted and there was a high pitched buzz.

After some investigation I have found that the left speaker is heavily distorting. If I use the balance control (interestingly left seems to effect right and vice versa), I can hear that the sound is good out of right speaker and awful out of left.

In the invetsigations I re-installed driver but obviously made no difference.

It sounds like the left speaker has blown! Is there anything else to try? I have tired the HP audio test etc but as they don't seem to check left and right channels they are not useful.

Thanks in advance PDM

Product is HP Spectre x360 - 15-ch004na

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pdm101

That probably due to Windows updates. Re-install driver should help. Please try

(a) Download the following driver and save on your computer,

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87501-88000/sp87996.exe

(b) Go to Device Manager, Sound to uninstall sound driver and reboot,
(c) Right click downloaded file and select Run as administrator,
(d) Reboot again.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@pdm101

That probably due to Windows updates. Re-install driver should help. Please try

(a) Download the following driver and save on your computer,

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87501-88000/sp87996.exe

(b) Go to Device Manager, Sound to uninstall sound driver and reboot,
(c) Right click downloaded file and select Run as administrator,
(d) Reboot again.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.

That has vastly improved the sound.  

Just one question though. I didn't pay attention to versions etc. Have I rolled back to an earlier version?

Thanks again

PDM

HP Recommended

I had the same issue, laptop was completely fine then all of a sudden no sound on the right, left sided crackly as if blown speaker. I updated the bios and sound has completely resolved. It really does sound like a blown speaker but apparently it is an issue with compatibility with bios/drivers. So glad I didn't send this in. 

HP Recommended

Download the HP Support Assistant, install all upgrades (incl. BIOS) and restart.

You're welcome 🙂 worked for me on my spectre 13. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, @Banhien and @pdm101!  My left channel was getting distorted and I thought my external speakers were dying.  Then I used a headset while traveling with the laptop, and it sounded bad too!  Oh no, has this almost-new laptop developed an internal hardware problem?

Nope, all it took was deleting the old drivers and rebooting.  It sounded great after that, with the default-installed drivers.  But I went ahead and installed the drivers you recommended.  It never occurred to me that a specific distortion like that could be caused by a driver problem.

FWIW, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQToGcTWSRQ highlighted the problem on my system.  The first 5-10 seconds have guitar arpeggios on the right channel.  Before the new driver, I had no right-channel guitar and the left channel was mush and distortion.  With the new driver, it sounds just like it does on my phone.  :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.