Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
T9P68EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I keep getting a static noise whenever I move the cursor or scroll on the touchpad of my new laptop.

I also have the same issue when connecting a USB mouse.

The noise is noticeable regardless of the volume setting. 

HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook

T9P68EA#ABU

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @James095,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

Thank you for becoming a HP Forum member.  It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others. For you have the best experience, here is a link to First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More for you to review, should you have any concerns.

I understand that when you move the cursor or scroll on the touchpad you hear a static noise. If you connect an USB mouse you have the same issue.

Have you done all your Windows updates? Have you run the  HP Support Assistant? Have you run the Windows troubleshooter?  Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - No Sound or Distorted Sound from Speakers (Windows 10) that may also be of aid.

Please let me know the results.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I've installed the updates and nothing was found via the troublshooter but the problem is still occuring.

The sound is similar to when the laptop is doing updates or installs, like a like a high pitched "struggling" sound.

Its a brand new laptop so shouldnt be struggling. 

HP Recommended

Hi @James095,

Thank you for the update.

I understand that installing the updates has not helped. To rule out hardware as a possible cause I would test for hardware failures.  HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎. As your notebook is a recent purchase please contact HP Support. With your permission, they can remotely connect to your system to help find and fix any issues. Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

Please update me on your progress.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi,

I contacted HP Support and they did some remote control. During this they did some updates and restarted my laptop several times but after the 5th or so restart they didnt come back and I was forced to close the connection with the issue still unfixed. I'm really not sure what the next step is as I seem to only be able to contact the support team during the week but I am at work.

HP Recommended

Hi @James095,

Thank you for your update.

Have you had this issue since you purchased it or did it start afterwards?   Here is a link that may help. 

HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)

Please let me know if this helped. 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi 

I updated a graphics driver and restarted but that hasn't solved the issue.

I've had this issue since purchase and it hasn't gone away.

HP Recommended

Hi  @James095,,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details. If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works  please review this link:

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

The noises sound to me like hard disk noises, but my HP ProBook 650 G2 has an SSD drive.  I don't notice any performance degradation but the noises become quite annoying after a while. I am running Windows 7 x64 with the latest drivers installed. This laptop has made these noises since day one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.