Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Community, I was wondering if anyone else was having a simmilar problem as the one I'm currently having which is when a sound hasn't played for a while on the computer and then a system sound tries to play. This system sound will always be delayed by almost a second. Anyone else?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

New temporary solution that works with Realtek drivers.

Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\xxxx\PowerSettings

where 'xxxx' is one of keys which contains

DriverDesc value 'Realtek High Definition Audio'.

Note: There may be multiple ones containing PowerSettings,

for example 'Nvidia High Definition Audio'.

You'll find there three binary values and set them:

• ConservationIdleTime = ff ff ff ff;
  • IdlePowerState = 00 00 00 00;
  • PerformanceIdleTime = ff ff ff ff.

Default values are all 00 00 00 00 which disables power settings,

but driver somehow overrides it with 0a 00 00 00

which is 10 seconds (0x0a = 10) and is by default in driver.

Problem shouldn't occur again after restart (or I haven't noticed).

This is not solution to problem,

it only prevents audio hardware going idle,

but I don't see any impact on energy consumption.

I'm going to send mail to Realtek support about this problem

as it's clearly driver problem,

and when (or if) they respond I'll post an update.

Give kudos if I helped. 🙂

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@jplafor

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there's a system sound delay,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you updated the audio driver?

(Click here to find and install, if you have done it yet)

While you respond to that, I recommend the below steps:

The best way to do that is using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. I downloaded and installed newest driver with no avail.

HP Recommended

I really wish other people would give their two cents, but i feel like a lot of people just dont notice it, or believe that it is the norm. TBH it probably is, because I've noticed that content doesnt begin playing until the speakers are also ready to.

HP Recommended

Yep it just got really irritating. After a few seconds I hear the audio turn off then when i click play it takes a second for it to start again...

HP Recommended

Hi Iromkingman,

I also have an HP Spectre x360 (not an HP employee, just a normal computer user) and I was experiencing the same problem. This workaround seems to have worked (although do try it at your own risk), basically we're replacing the RealTek audio driver with a generic one:

1) [Windows] + S > Device Manager

2) [Your computer name] > Sound, video and game controllers > RealTek High Definition Audio (SST) > Right click > Properties

3) In the dialog that pops up, do: Driver > Update Driver > Browse my computer... > Let me pick... > Uncheck "Show compatible hardware" > Microsoft > High Definition Audio Device Version: ... [7/27/2017] > Next

4) It'll display a warning (I just installed it anyway). You can follow the instructions on the prompt.

If anything bad happens, you can roll back the driver by right-clicking on the audio device in the device manager.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I just tried that, but my audio started randomly failing & the audio services stopped and restarted often.

I couldnt tell if it actually solved the problem. I just uninstalled that driver for the HP one.

HP Recommended

Yeah, it was working for a while but after I rebooted, my audio did start failing. Guess that didn't solve it unfortunately. I ended up rolling back my drivers, so I'm back where I started.

Edit:

Aha, I think I've found a less invasive solution.

Go here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers, and enter the name of your laptop. (For me, I went to System Information, and typed what was under System SKU, except for everything after (and including) the # sign.)

Then, go to Driver-Audio, click "Previous Versions", and download an older version (I used the one from Dec 26, 2016). You should be able to run the installer for the older driver, and there shouldn't be any compatibility issues since it was for the same model anyway.

Your computer might restart several times, but I think this has worked so far for me. Let me know if it works for you!

HP Recommended

I found that if you are using the 3.5mm jack for audio output then there is a delay in the audio output, but if you use one of the usb-c ports with a 3.5mm jack converter then there is no delay issue.

HP Recommended

Has this been fixed yet? I just bought a late 2018 13" x360, and this issue is still there after I fully updated. I bought this to use for work, I'm a Lighting Designer for bands and corperate events, and sometimes I need to play click-tracks for the band. Well with this bug, it cuts off the count-off on the tracks, making us start the entire song over again. This is extremely irritating and is completely unacceptable for a "premium" product

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.