Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Do you also know about the crackling sound after the audio driver go to idle for a while... seems like it's back to my laptop somehow.. 

HP Recommended

That should not be the case with regedit changes

because those values prevent audio hardware going idle.

Only time it's forced to go idle is when you send pc to standby.

Simplest solution that I found was to unplug and plug headphones.

After that crackling sound is gone... until next waking from standby. :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

Seems like that's easier than fixing the problem with the registry. 
I'm not sure if you also know about this. But after the BIOS update my laptop booting up really slowly, the BIOS time is always around 4 secs at all time. My old one usually boots about 2secs or less. That is after the update... I forgot how much time does it takes to boot before the update.. 

HP Recommended

Registry fix is for delay only. it does not solve crackling sound problem.

So both things are required for sound to function normally.

About bios time, mine last is 4.7s and I'm not sure what was it earlier before update,

so I think it would be best to create new thread specifically for that issue

to see if someone else noticed it.

HP Recommended

FYI:

This registry solution worked for me too!

The full registry path can bee seen in a reply post by Xaoc at URL:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/System-Sound-Delay/td-p/6224970/page/2

This audio delay problem has been systemic across HP's laptop product line for years! I've seen posts as early as 2017. Yet HP has chosen to DO NOTHING to address this issue! Same for Realtek!

In December I bought an Omen and an Envy-X360. Both laptops had the audio delay problem (as well as other problems right out of the box). HP replaced my 2 brand new laptops with the Spectre-x360. Both of them also had the audio delay problems.

There have been numerous, NUMEROUS, well intentioned volunteer support persons having us re-install the OS, update drivers, delete then re-add drivers, run HP diags, ad nauseum! All FAIL and waste our precious time.  It's as if the wheel is constantly trying to be invented when the solution already exists, but is only secretive.

HP's tech supt staff doesn't even talk about this fix (probably because it involves editing the registry). I even sent my laptop into the repair center and then got an E-mail that they cannot find anything wrong with it.

I would reaslly like to see an HP support person resond to this and also respond if this ever will be addressed by HP or Realtek.

Howie the TekHead

Howie The TekHead
HP Recommended

Well as Xaoc and I have discussed before, they both don't give a s***. Xaoc did report and emailed the problem to Realtek and HP, but theres is response I suppose. 

HP Recommended

It's Realtek fault for sure because while researching about the problem

I found out that other manufacturer laptops also have the same issues with the same Realtek audio chip.

This registry fix could be easily scripted if path would be same for everyone,

but I think that 'xxxx' part of path differs, so no luck for that. :indifferent:

HP Recommended

So, as I understand it, Realtek (driver) is the one responsible for originally setting the registry entry that your fix refers to? Or does MSFT Win-10 OS set that default and Realtek does nothing about it? Hmmm, that's an interesting thought...

Here's a jaw-dropping moment for you...

I went to BestBuy to test out this sound delay problem on their displayed laptops running Win-10 OS. ALL of the HP laptops reproduced the sound delay. The other mfr's laptops: Lenovo, Samsung, Dell, etc., did not have the sound delay!

My test was performed using the following procedure:

Control Panel ==> Sound ==>  tab = [Sounds],

In the area labeled "Program Events", highlight (single-click) the first entry = Asterisk,

then click the action button [Test]

Before tweaking my registry, I would experience the sound delay. After the registry tweak, there was no sound delay.

Howz that grab ya???

I also recently discovered that my built-in mic has the same delay factor. WHAT!!!! Yup! That's true!

So I used your registry tweak analogy and applied it to the XXXX entry (in my case, 0001) for the Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST).

I applied the same hex values you used to tweak the Realtek entry. But, after a reboot, it did not work.

Your thoughts??? Anybody's thoughts???

I really hate to bash HP, but ==> How Pathetic for knowing about this for years and doing NOTHING about it!

Howie The TekHead
HP Recommended

It has nothing to do with Win10, registry values are set while installing driver as part of setup.

Every piece of software installed needs to have something in registry

to work with operating system, especially system software.

With generic MS driver everything works ok, but there are fewer options for sound.

Guidance for my solution was mostly from Dell forums,

as there were few people complaining about same issue

and one of them told that it may be tied to stand-by time.

So my idea was to increase that time to max because it can't be deactivated.

Maybe it's somehow connected to series of chips that were produced for HP.

I can't confirm mic delay as I don't have problem anymore

with latest driver and default values in registry.

About Intel SST, there was Win10 problem

where it was recognized as that instead of Realtek.

Solution for that was to uninstall it and manually install

with latest Realtek driver from Windows Update Catalog.

After that you could install latest Realtek driver normally.

HP Recommended

Thanx for your guidance & insights.

I'll try the [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+[LEFT-ELBOW]+RIGHT-KNEE] :Glasses: with the drivers, like you suggested.

Will post back.

Regards.

Howie The TekHead
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.