Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15t-n200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an old tape deck I am trying to connect to my laptop, using an RCA cable-3.5 mm jack, so I can use Audacity to convert an old cassette tape to an MP3.  I want to plug that 3.5 mm jack into my headphone jack, and use it as input.  It does connect, but I can't figure out how to change the headphone jack into an input jack.  Help?!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@CJinIN 

Firstly it is NOT a line-in therefore you can't use it as a line-in. Secondary, your old tape deck won't transfer right signals to your computer unless you have convert it to digital file formats.

USB sound card with Line In should work. Please use the following list

https://www.bestproducts.com/tech/gadgets/g1422/external-sound-cards-for-pc-or-mac/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Audacity is what converts it from a cassette tape recording to a digital MP3 file.  At least that's what the info said...

Now to the other - whether I can temporarily change the headphone jack to an input jack - it can be done on many computers/laptops.  Maybe not on mine, but I know it is an option in general.

Hoping for more guidance?

HP Recommended

@CJinIN 

Does Audacity come with hardware or just software ? Anyway, you can't use headphone jack as line-in.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Audacity is software only.  The headphone jack also has microphone capability.  My son put his headphones with built-in microphone in the jack, and the computer recognized that it was there.  So I know the jack works, just apparently not with a a 3.5 mm plug with the red/white ends on the other side.

We also tried an aux cord, connecting the headphone jack on the tape deck to the headphone/mic jack on the laptop, but the computer didn't recognize that either.

Frustrating.  The only solution I've come up with is to put the earbuds over the laptop microphone holes, and record that way.  NOT the best sound, but better than nothing.  I guess.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.