Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 350 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I upgraded the hard drive in my HP 350 G1 to a 500Gb Crucial MX500 SSD.  The upgrade seems to have worked and the machine is much faster.  However, I have no audio.  Audio was working fine before the conversion.  The icon in the tray now says "No Audio Output Device is Installed."  The  Troubleshoot Sound Problems test says "Playing Audio" and "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."  The Device Manager under Sound, Video and Game Controllers has only devices for Bluetooth and Webcam, nothing for audio.  The audio component test available by using the Esc key upon startup does produce sounds and pass the test.  Asking the system to detect new hardware finds no new hardware.  I believe that the system had some sort of IDT Codec, although I am not sure.  I could put the old HDD back in place of the SSD, but I don't know how that would help.  Other than this, so far I am real pleased with the improvement from putting in the SSD.   Any ideas on how to resolve this?  I have tried reading the numerous forum topics about no audio, but most seem to be about Windows 10.  Mine uses Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1.

-

Thanks for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Dfreeze

Please download and install IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver for Windows 7 (64bit):

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp65001-65500/sp65196.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I did this.  At the end of the install it said  "This is not the correct audio driver for this system (xp).  The installer will now exit." 

-

Still no audio.  Does the "xp" in parentheses suggest that it thinks my system is Windows XP?  It is not.

-

I have been poking around in the data from running msinfo32 a few months ago and just now.  The two runs are nearly identical.  Of the few differences, many have to do with the High Definition Audio Controller.  I am suspcious of this, but I don't know enough about it to figure it out.  The Components - Multimedia - Sound Device  section has only Bluetooth Hands-Free Audio now whereas before it had this and IDT High Definition Audio Codec.  The file c:\windows\system32\drivers\stwrt64.sys referenced here in the earlier run is not present now.   Would copying it from another source help (or hurt)?  I could probably retrieve it from the HDD that I cloned to the SSD. 

-

In the same msinfo32 comparison, under Hardware Resources - IRQs, the High Definition Audio Controller, the Synaptics SMBus Driver, and the Intel(R) Management Engine Interface are all now listed with IRQ 7, whereas previously they were IRQs 22, 18 and  4294967291 respectively.  Is this another clue?  I have information, but no understanding.

HP Recommended

I think I may have solved my problem, possibly in a manner everyone may consider rather obvious.   My HP 350 G1 laptop lost its audio after I upgraded to a SSD. In Device Manager, under Sound, video and game controllers, I was missing the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC device. I was focused on trying to get this back. Nothing worked. After a while, I happened to notice that under System Devices, there were two devices called High Definition Audio Controller, both of which had yellow problem symbols. I uninstalled both of these and rebooted my laptop. Upon startup, it said something like "obtaining/updating driver for new hardware" and listed the High Definition Audio Controller and the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC as installed successfully. The Sound, video and game controllers part of Device Manager now had the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC device.  I rebooted my PC again and the audio was restored.  I wish I had looked at the other parts of the Device Manager sooner.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with an Elitebook 8560w. Your solution worked perfectly for me, too. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thanks Dfreeze,

Same problem with Probook 450 G3 after upgrading from Liteon M.2 128Gb to Crucial  500MX 500Gb. After follow up unsuccessfully HP diagnose I followed your steps and it worked perfectly.

JP

HP Recommended

it worked for me too ! yay you thanks 🙂 Dfreeze

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.