Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

my cd/dvd does not work  it does not appear on the the computer list of drives

does it need reinstalling ? if so how  do i do it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Vista

Check if the drive is now working.

If it still doesn't work, click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter. 

Next, click the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Vista

Check if the drive is now working.

If it still doesn't work, click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter. 

Next, click the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

hi david

thanks alot problem sloved

cheers

phill

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome, glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem, CD/DVD player not working. I have tried this solution as well as soooo many others and it is not working for me still. CD/DVD player isn't showing up in My Computer or Device Manager nor will it play any type of disk right now. If you could please help, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!

HP Recommended

My cd/dvd player is not working since I had my old dimming screen replaced on my 5 yr old presario laptop using WIndows vista--it won't even open. I used Windows fix it and my cd/dvd player still is not in Device Manager. I checked the BIOS and it is in the boot order, but not in Device Manager. It worked fine when I had the old screen. Thanks.

HP Recommended

The drive on my computer is not working. It will not read anything.

HP Recommended

Hello dede2013,

I see that you are having trouble with the optical drive on your computer. I would like to help you with this problem but I need some more information.

Can you provide the model and product number of the computer? Here is a link showing how to find that information.

If you open Computer in the start menu is the "DVD/CD-ROM Drive" listed?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

my cd/dvd drive has stopped working. when i did the self repair from my computer on it. and did a uninstall and then a re-install it gives an error message that reads...Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)...can someone please help me with this problem...

HP Recommended

Hello elong41,

I see that you are having trouble wit the CD/DVD drive on your computer. Here is a link that has a Microsoft fix it that may help with the registry errors. Download and run the fix it and let me know if this helps.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.