Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion x360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop is hp pavilion x360 convertible basically the problem is my laptop does not recognize the headphone jack when it is plugged in i have tried troubleshooting in the drivers manager disabling and enabling hp assistant updates etc it does not work.  a while back i had issues with my laptop not hearing me but somehow i have fixed that problem i still need help with the headphone jack (headphone/earbuds when plugged in not recognized). one more thing is when the headphone jack works the internal microphone does not work. (this has become very annoying taking online classes.) thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I performed a bios update it works fine now thank you!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@maaz2

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Check the following issues to troubleshoot headphones or a headset:

1. Software: If the device came with software, make sure it is installed properly and is compatible with Windows 8.

2. Power: If the device operates on battery power, make sure the batteries are correctly seated and are functional. If the device operates on external power, make sure all the power connections are secure and the power cord is connected to a power source.

3. Volume: If the device has a volume control, make sure it is turned up halfway.

4. Connection: Connect and disconnect the device from the computer port.

• USB connector: If the device uses a USB connector, disconnect and reconnect the USB connector to the computer. If the computer still does not recognize the device, try plugging the USB connector into a different port on the computer.

• Jack connector: If the device uses a jack connector, disconnect and reconnect the jack connector to the computer. Most importantly, make sure the jack connector type you are using is compatible with your computer.

Two types of headphone connectors are available on HP computers. One supports only sound to the headphones, and the other supports sound to the headphones and the use of a microphone. The connectors are marked with symbols next them.

• Connectors on the computer marked with only a headset , support output sound only and work with a standard three-pin headphone or a four-pin headphone, for sound.

Figure : Standard three-pin plug

Standard three-pin plug
      • Connectors on the computer marked with a headset with a microphone support sound and the use of a microphone when used with a headset with a four-pin plug and a microphone.

Figure : Four-pin plug

Four-pin plug

To hear sound, either plug can be used with either connector. Using a four-pin plug that is capable of supporting a microphone in a three-pin connector allows sound to be heard, but the microphone does not work because the computer's three-pin connector does not support a microphone.

note:

Some devices use a mini jack connector. This smaller connector is not compatible with HP computers and you might need an adaptor in order to use your device. Also, using an adaptor might affect the quality of the audio. This does not mean that your computer has a problem.

Figure : Example of a jack adapter

Example of a jack adapter
  5. Make sure that the jack connector is connected to the correct port:

Digital audio jack ports

Analog audio jack ports are color coded. Common color coding is shown below, however, colors can vary.

1. Microphone jack port

2. Headphones jack port

Newer computers might also have a headset (combination headphones and microphone) port. The headset port has a headset icon next to the port. This port can be used for headsets, headphones, and microphones.

Gray, Black and Orange (side, rear, c/sub) are for speakers.

Pink (mic) is for microphones.

Green (out) is for headphones.

Blue (in) is for audio input (like DVD players, tape players, and other sound producing devices).

6. Connect the headphones or headset to an alternative device (such as, another computer) and try to use it.

• If the device functions correctly when connected to the alternative device, then the problem might be a driver or computer recognition issue. Continue to the next section to check for an update to the audio driver.

• If the device does not function correctly when connected to the alternative device, then the device might be malfunctioning.

7. For headset compatibility, you might also want to check the section of this article called Headsets: Checking for computer port compatibility.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I performed a bios update it works fine now thank you!

HP Recommended

@maaz2

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I'm having the same issue.

I have an HP Spectre laptop and whenever I plug in my headphones the sound comes out of the speakers instead. I have updated the audio drivers, Uninstalled and reinstalled them but it still doesn't recognise the headphones. I didn't have this issue in the past but now all of a sudden it doesn't work and this still happens even if I use a different headphone.

Please help, many thanks.

HP Recommended

@YasmineB

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Have you tried updating system BIOS steps?
  • What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824
  • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.