Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I feel like since the last update is when our mic has been having the static sound, because we all have the same problem around the same time.

HP Recommended

Yeah, it's absolutely not an issue that can be fixed by someone looking at it - this is clearly a software issue. HP need to work with Google to address the issue ... but will they? Who knows, if they don't acknowledge the problem.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my son's Chromebook.  He is doing virtual school from home. He made a video for a class project and played the video and all you hear is static. We recorded a video with the mic turned off and there was no static. We played other videos from YouTube and there was no static. He had a Zoom meeting with his classroom and we could hear other participants but when he turned his mic on, others just hear static. So that lead me to believe that it's the mic and something wrong with the interface. As far as I know, we have not done any recent updates unless it updated automatically.  My daughter has the same Chromebook and she does not seem to have this issue. I am going to use headsets and hopefully there  is repair found soon. 

HP Recommended

Posted elsewhere , but a small usb mike solves the problem I got one from Innov8   many available from other companies. I think mine was about £4,50 off ebay

HP Recommended

Have you actually tried earbuds? It gets rid of the static but it doesn't register any audio so it still doesn't work (at least for me).

HP Recommended

And it's not a hardware issue. We all have the same problem after the latest ChromeOS update to version 81. My microphone was working fine this morning and then I did the update and now it's all static. Using an earbud microphone on the headphone jack gets rid of the static but doesn't register audio for me so it doesn't fix the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi, yes the earbud solution worked for me.  It recorded audio and you can switch the audio output to speaker by clicking on the arrow next to the headphone symbol in the bottom right hand( battery level etc box) check too the setting is " microphone internal" But a better solution is to buy for around £3.50 a USB mike.  I  got mine from https://www.innov8wholesale.com/p/new-arrivals/usb-mini-microphone-computer/    others on ebay etc. Once I plugged it in eveything was fine.  And you are  right it is a software problem since the last update. Things worked fine before .   I'd add it did not affect our ACER chromebook. seems to be a unique HP issue

HP Recommended

I fixed the problem on my Chromebook. Since the problem is with version 81 (Stable) I switched to version 83 (Developer - unstable) instead. I went to: Settings > About ChromeOS (on the left)> Additional Details > Change Channel and then I switched to Developer - unstable. Then, I clicked on the back arrow and checked for an update. After the update, I had to reboot to apply the changes. You might be able to switch to Beta instead of Developer but I haven't tried.

HP Recommended

You can't reverse the update but you can skip to a newer update that has this problem fixed. I switched to Developer - unstable but you might be able to use Beta. See my previous comment for instructions.

HP Recommended

Dear all,

Good news: things work again if you switch to Beta Channel, just go to settings (right corner under, next to clock),  go to About Chrome OS, Additional Details, then Channel, and then Change Channel to Beta. It will start to Update, then you will have to restart and after that things will work again. Still feel that mike volume might be lower then before but will have to test that. For now, this solves the thing 😁

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.