Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

my computer has no sound at all,  HP Pavilion DV2. Volume is turned all the way up. Wierd..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for all of your help Enrico. The sound is working as of this morning. I powered the computer down last night and now the sound is magically working. I have no idea what happened. But yes, I did try all of the stuff you had mentioned. It had done this one time before and I never figured it out. I will save your notes for futture reference in case it does it again. Have a nice weekend. Thank you again!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Have you right clicked on the speaker icon(sound) in the systray and selected volume control options to see which device are set to play sound? 

The image is Windows 7.sound22.png

Right-click the same icon and select open volume mixer to verify that nothing is muted as in the following image.

sound23.png

Click on the speaker icons to unmute the devices.

Have you tried the   Microsoft Fixit for troubleshooting sound issues?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks Enrico. I've tried all of that, no luck. I installed a new HP printer today and now I have no sound. I tried everything you mentioned and no luck. I tried Microsoft Fixit and Fixit is saying that no problems are found. It is almost like the sound is muted, but it is not.

HP Recommended

How about posting screenshots of:

Device Manager (as in the image) and the two images as I posted earlier but from your notebook.

devman.png

Have you checked to ensure that the sound is turned on? Is there an led on the keyboard lit that shows sound off? My loaner dv7-4180ea will have an amber led lit instead of white when the sound has been disabled.

Is the volume turned completely down?

Right-click the speaker icon on the desktop and look for the green checkmark next to the speaker image.

soundtest.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for all of your help Enrico. The sound is working as of this morning. I powered the computer down last night and now the sound is magically working. I have no idea what happened. But yes, I did try all of the stuff you had mentioned. It had done this one time before and I never figured it out. I will save your notes for futture reference in case it does it again. Have a nice weekend. Thank you again!

HP Recommended

I am happy to have helped in whatever way that I did. Sometimes a restart is just the ticket. 🙂

HP Recommended

why my computer no sound at all?can u help me for about that....

HP Recommended

i have a HP all in one 600-1120....i got it off a guy on craigslist and he was selling it cuz the sound went off..so when i got it i was messing with it to see if i can fix it i tryed everything and nothing.....the headphones are not working along with the speckers....i looked up alot of sites and nothing...can u help me out

HP Recommended

I posted in this thread about a year to year and a half ago. I tried everything to get my sound to work on my HP laptop including posting in this thread, contacting HP and talking to all my super smart computer friends. No luck. One thing I did notice was the sound worked through head phones. So, just by luck, I noticed that when I was unplugging the head phones from the jack, I started to get a little crackle of sound. I played with the jack for a moment by wiggling the headphones plug around in the jack and all of a sudden I had sound. I have not had a problem since. It must have been some kind of short or something in the jack.

I hope this helps anybody that is having similar problems with no sound on their HP laptop.

HP Recommended

turned everything up  no sound

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.