Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x2 10-n100na (energy star)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Community - hoping this post finds you well,

Could anyone kindly suggest how best to restore the complete loss of audio which happened recently but I have no idea how this was lost? Maybe there is a post that already covers resolving this issue but in signing up just now, I have no idea how to find such posts at the mo? I have MS Updates set to automatically apply & am up to date as far as '2019-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64 based systems (KB4480116), as not sure if this or previous Cumulative Updates caused the loss of complete sound perhaps?

I have tried the following;

#1 - ran windows 'Troubleshoot sound problems' (right clicked on the audio symbol on taskbar). Resulted in 'Issues Found - There might be a problem with the audio device'. But don't understand the detailed report itemising:-

1. Issue not present: both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. At least one of these services isn't running.

2. Issue not present: PC must be restarted (did this)

3. Issue not present: Hardware changes might not have been detected (no hardware has been changed to this PC)

#2 - ran HP Assistant 'having some audio issues on your PC'. The Audio Diagnostics Check report confirmed:-

1. Device: No speakers found (Hardware problem detected)

1a. Status / driver / version - no details as all blank

2. Device: No microphone found (Hardware problem detected)

2a. Status / driver / version - no details as all blank

#3 - checked device manager -Sound, video and game controllers listing the following;

1. Conexant I2S Audio Codec (I may have installed this by mistake in trying to resolve this issue?)

2. Intel SST Audio Device (WDM)

#4 - Googled how to perform a hard / forced reset via HP YouTube channel but I couldn't find this detachable notebook so came up short with this option. However, it did suggest possible BIOS related issues but not sure about this?

#5 - downloaded & installed HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows but no audio devices appeared from within this test app window so couldn't proceed with testing?

If anyone could spare the time to point me in the right direction, I would be extremely grateful, thank you.

Kind regards, Kevino2

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Kevino2
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I see that you're experiencing an audio related issue with the HP Pavilion X2 computer, I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.

As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, this sounds like Audio software related issue:

Let's try restoring the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager:

1. In Windows, search for and open Recovery Manager.
  2. Click Reinstall drivers and/or applications.
  3. Select the audio driver in the list, and then click Install.
  4. Wait for the driver to reinstall. When the installation is complete, click OK.
  5. Close HP Recovery Manager and then restart your computer.
  6. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, try updating the driver using Device Manager.

Note:  If the audio problem persists after restoring the driver, continue to the next step.

BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo_Lake,

Thank you for replying so soon. I'm sorry but I,m unable to find set 2 option - Reinstall drivers and/or applications. Having opened HP Recovery Manager I'm faced with the following option;

Help ;

#1 - Windows System Reset

#2 - Windows Recovery Environment *

Precautions;

#1 - Create recovery media

#2 - Windows File History

Maintenance;

#1 - Perform computer maintenance

Support;

#1 = Get Assistance from HP

I did enter #2 - Windows Recovery Environment * but encountered many options but none of which stated 'Reinstall drivers and/or application'?

Can you kindly point me in the right direction?

Many thanks, Kevino2

HP Recommended

@Kevino2

Thank you for posting back. 

Use the following steps to reinstall original software or drivers.

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Recovery Manager.

If prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If prompted by User Account Control to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes.

2. Under Help, click Reinstall drivers and/or applications and wait for Recovery Manager to generate a list.

Figure: Recovery Manager
    Recovery Manager opening screen

1. A combined list of applications and drivers to reinstall appears, with the drivers listed first.

Figure: List of drivers to reinstall
    List of drivers to reinstall

2. Select the checkbox next to the drivers you want to reinstall.

3. Scroll down to the list of applications.

Figure: List of applications to reinstall
    List of applications to reinstall.

4. Select the checkbox next to the applications you want to reinstall, and then click Install.

The computer installs the applications and drivers.

NOTE: Some computers might not have software applications to install and an applications section might not be available. This is normal and software should be installed from the HP website or from the website of the software manufacturer.
  5. When the Installation is completed message displays, click OK.

Figure: Installation is completed
    Installation is completed message

6. Close all open applications, then restart your computer.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo_Lake,

Thank you for clarifying but I don't have the 3rd option you've kindly highlighted - only two options as below?

Help ;

#1 - Windows System Reset

#2 - Windows Recovery Environment

Is there an option to download the audio driver from HP website & then apply the bios update initially suggested?

Kind regards, Kevino2

HP Recommended

@Kevino2

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 

Let's perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant and check:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Windows updates applied, as I keep up to date with doing this daily & run HP Support Assistant for updates but none to apply as already checked previously.

Any ideas where we go from here or shall I apply the bios update you mentioned initially?

Kind regards, Kevino2

HP Recommended

@Kevino2

I would request you to please update the Bios and that should take care of the issue. 

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.